13 year old car has 8 MOT faliures

Associate
Evening all,
Looking at this car tommorow https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ocation=at_cars&maximum-mileage=125000&page=1

I just passd my driving test. I have a Hyundai i10 2013 with something silly like 13K miles on it but I'm not a massive fan of it and the intention was for me to always buy a car.

The thing that bugs me with this car is tonight I decided to look at its service history online, (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
SD58 YFF|), and over a 13 year period, it has 8 MOT fails and just 10 Passes. It passed its most recent one next one due next year. This seems anomalously high for a car especially a Honda that is supposed to be reliable. What's going on? Should I avoid this car like the plague, or is it just overzealous mechanics (I'm not sure about this as some of the faults seem more serious) or the owner not taking care of it? it's only had two apparently and is on 114K miles.

Thanks

Really, it’s not the Type S Or R version? I just don’t want to buy it only to have it fail it’s next MOT (which it looks like it fails every time ) and paying out massive amounts to fix it . I’ll see if I can get some information out of the guy today if I go. It’s being sold by a dealer

That looks knackered, rear suspension is clearly broken. There's plenty out there that will be better.

Owned one for 7 years and did over 100k in it (1.8 Type-S GT, 160k miles in the end). I had two major issues, front shocks died (cheap enough job) and the gearbox input shaft failed (replaced with low milage used). Gearbox was likely my fault, car had an incredibly hard life and they're not a known issue.

Avoid Diesel aside from the 2.2, make sure it's had a clutch and dmf done in its life. Petrol you want the 1.8, they are absolutely bomb proof.

If you like ride quality avoid 18" wheels, plus the tyres are expensive. You should get a decent average miles EX/ES/Type-S GT for similar money I'm sure.

I didn't maintain mine cosmetically and it had hidden crash damage from a previous owner but I had zero rust.

I found a MUCH better Honda, I increased my budget to £2.5K and have found one closer that is 2010, with the new facelift, recently had new clutch installed too and has 89K.

Car I bought was a Honda CIVIC SI, managed to get £2.4K in the end because there's a fair bit of cosmetic damage to the bumper= and left wheel arch but everything works fine. Glad I bought it. Lovely colour, leather inside is pretty good condition,
drives very smoothly.

One thing though - though it doesnt worry me as much as it initally did. We test drove it, fine. halfway throught the way home, whenever we changed into second gear, it would grind. yet when i took it for a few drives later that day, it was fine, barring a couple of times, so I'm thinking it's probably me doing something wrong.

The clutch was replaced a couple of weeks ago for £550, has a 2 year warranty for the garage it was service at. guy bouight it off his cousin and so history is pretty good

Back
Top Bottom