• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

13700KF Temps

Associate
I recently built a Z790 / 13700KF setup (air cooled with a DeepCool AK620). I know these chips run hot, so I've been looking at undervolting it.

At stock voltages, it hits 100C in 5-10 seconds when running Cinebench multi core. Undervolting by 0.065v or so (adaptive) helps a little, in that it takes maybe 30 secs longer to hit 100C, but it still hits 100C and then pretty much stays there. I've tried undervolting further, right down to -0.16v but, although it's stable, it doesn't seem to bring temps down any further.

In the videos I've watched on YT, they're typically bringing their temps down in Cinebench by 5C or more, so I'm not sure what I'm missing really. I know an air cooler isn't going to work miracles with these CPUs, but the DeepCool had decent reviews. I've tried reapplying thermal paste, which helped marginally but again not significantly.

Appreciate any help :)

cheers
Danny

Associate
OP
Intel put out a lot heat that’s for sure, but Intel don’t normally it 100c in 5 seconds. I think your cooling could be the issue TBH.

What case are you using and what are the system specs?

Sorry, would've helped wouldn't it. Case is a fairly cheap Falcon GameMax midi tower, which I don't think gives the best airflow, especially with my crappy cable management. I tried removing the side panel of the case, and it helped slightly - managed to do a complete Cinebench multi run without hitting 100C - only 98C :D

Other specs are 3080FE, DDR5 6400MHz RAM. Mobo is an MSI Pro Z790.

Being an Asus board the multi core enchantment is likely to be enabled and it will suck as many volts as it can. Disable that to set the limits... Secondly if you modify the AC/DC load lines you will bring the temps down... Search the forum I have mentioned the guide here before

Thanks. It's actually an MSI board (prefer Asus as not had good experiences with MSI in recent years, but Asus Z790s were too £££). I'll check BIOS for a comparable setting though.

Install HWINFO or something similar to get an idea of how many watts the cpu is pulling under load.

Also worth considering a contact frame. May help with temps.

Have been running HWMonitor anyway, while testing undervolts in Intel XTU. Peak power draw looks to be about 243W.

Edit: Will look into contact frames too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Side shot of case, for what it's worth:

cw7djkD.jpg

Associate
OP
Might be a bit of a pain but could be worth taking the cooler off and seeing how the paste distributed across the coldplate, if its making proper contact etc.

Funnily enough, I actually did that earlier. It looked OK, but to be sure I removed all the (Deepcool) paste and stuck some MX4 on there. The original paste looked like it was fairly evenly spread though.

Associate
OP
Apologies... Not sure why i thought it was a Asus board... Bad habit. I'm sure the settings are similar though. I have a 13900k and af2 360 cooler. With a few tweaks it only pulls around 225w in cb23 and goes to around 82 degrees.

Have you exhaust fans in the roof of the case? Have you read reviews on that cooler to see if it's adequate? I have no experience with them

No worries, I found the equivalent MSI setting in BIOS (it's called Turbo Enhanced) so changed it from Auto to Disabled. Didn't seem to reduce temps noticeably although Cinebench score was slightly better (~ 30,600).

No fans in the top of the case, but there is a decent sized vent:

I'm pretty sure the cooler is up to the job, I went with this recent review which said it's "one of the best performing air coolers right now".

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the info guys. Will hopefully have a bit of time tomorrow night to install a rear fan and cap the P1/P2 wattages in BIOS. I had noticed cooler type was set to water too, so changed that to tower cooler. Hopefully that will cool things down a bit.

After that my sons are staying with me for 9 days so there won't be much time for PC tinkering next week. Definitely going to think about an AIO though too, I've always been a bit nervous of liquid cooling but I assume AIOs are fairly straightforward to set up and install?

Associate
OP
I bit the bullet in the end and, after doing some reading up, ordered a DeepCool LS520 SE AIO. Kinda wish I'd bought that in the beginning really, as it was only £20 more than the tower cooler I'm using atm. I never thought I'd need water cooling if I'm not overclocking, but Intel and AMD seem to run their chips pretty hot these days. My 5900X was a hottie too.

I need to do some reading up on installing an AIO, but presumably best practice is fans in the front of the case, and radiator at top to vent heat out of the case?

Back
Top Bottom