• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

13700KF to 7800X3D

Soldato
Hiya guys,

Simple question really, I've an itch and with the deals on currently I'm tempted to move to an AMD build, maybe it'll pair better with my 7900XTX ..(something I'm telling myself :p)

Currently spec
13700kf
Asus strix Gaming E Z790
32GB DDR5 Gskil 6800 C32
Sapphire Nitro x 7900xtx

Was hoping I could keep the Ram and see the cpu and mobo on MM.

I've had them both for about a month.

Am I mad, should I just wait for the new platforms?

To clarify, I'm having absolutely zero issues gaming with my current system.

Just tempted to try AMD on the cpu side again, it's been a while.

Cheers

Soldato
While the 7800X3D is going to be superior in some instances I'd certainly not say it's a worthwhile move.

What about improving some other area, what monitor do you run for example? How about a nice new case, or a good audio setup?

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably not worth it unless you want the upgrade path to Zen 5 and possibly Zen 6. Also how good of an uplift will Zen 5 be? The mid range won't have e-cores like Intel does, which means less multicore performance. It will get closer with less cores though obviously, it would have to be a decent difference to be worth it. Unless you want it using less power.

Soldato
OP
It's as I thought, a resounding no :p

Game at 1440p on a Rog Strix XG32VQ, case is pretty new, 011 Dynamic evo.

I was tempted by a 4k panel, or ultra wide, maybe I'll take another look there.

Thanks chaps, I'll find the cure for this itch somewhere else.

Associate
Hiya guys,

Simple question really, I've an itch and with the deals on currently I'm tempted to move to an AMD build, maybe it'll pair better with my 7900XTX ..(something I'm telling myself :p)

Currently spec
13700kf
Asus strix Gaming E Z790
32GB DDR5 Gskil 6800 C32
Sapphire Nitro x 7900xtx

Cheers
If you wanna throw your money away,go for it. I'm looking for donations so kids don't need to suffer this Xmas without a powerful PC. Send your details.

Soldato
OP
If you wanna throw your money away,go for it. I'm looking for donations so kids don't need to suffer this Xmas without a powerful PC. Send your details.
Haha, it's not about throwing money away really, maybe it's an OCD thing and I just like having all AMD rather than a mix I don't know.

Think I'll just wait and see what happens with the next round of updates.

Man of Honour
At 1440p or higher resolution with decent quality settings the difference in performance between the 13700KF and 7800x3D is going to be single digit percentages, for non-gaming tasks the 13700KF can be significantly faster.

Associate
Haha, it's not about throwing money away really, maybe it's an OCD thing and I just like having all AMD rather than a mix I don't know.

Think I'll just wait and see what happens with the next round of updates.
I get it. But it would be a waste of money. If you're rich by all means it's up to you and it's your money,do with it as you please. The donation line is still open though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hiya guys,

Currently spec
13700kf
Asus strix Gaming E Z790
32GB DDR5 Gskil 6800 C32
Sapphire Nitro x 7900xtx

Cheers
Go for it. Fastest gaming CPU whilst drawing less power, what's not to like? If you want to minimise any bottlenecking of your 7900 XTX, you'll need a VCache CPU. ;) Source.

I get it. But it would be a waste of money. If you're rich by all means it's up to you and it's your money,do with it as you please. The donation line is still open though.
X0F50Ra.gif

Last edited:
Soldato

That first line makes it harder to recommend.

I've been looking at this as I've had my i7 12700K for a while now. For productivity my current CPU can beat the 7800X3D. For maximising my RTX 4080 then yeah the 7800X3D looks to be up to 25% faster for a decent number of games.

My 12700K is pretty decent for power efficiency not in the league of the 13th & 14th gen CPUs as heat generators! The 7800X3D can be even better especially when the localised 3D cache is utilised.

I also watched some recent Moore's Law is Dead YT vids for GEN 5 leaks and their opinion is that internally AMD are aiming for 10 - 15% uplift which they tend to beat slightly but not the 30% uplift the "fan boys" are posting. Gen 6 is the next major architecture change I believe.

This could be duff info so always do your due diligence :)

I'm thinking the RTX 4090 would be a bigger upgrade for me but that's ~£800+ compared to the CPU+mobo at around £600 for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Go for it. Fastest gaming CPU whilst drawing less power, what's not to like? If you want to minimise any bottlenecking of your 7900 XTX, you'll need a VCache CPU. ;) Source.

X0F50Ra.gif
I knew you'd be along ;p how long do we think the AM5 platform has left? I know the z790 is dead now with the 14th gen.
And that gif is from one of my favorite films, so you're winning!

Last edited:
Soldato
The itch.. I can't resist...
Which is why I usually have a 2nd system on the go.

Currently a R7 5700G + B550 mobo + RTX 3060 Ti in a Phanteks P400a. Possibly sold this week to fund the 7800X3D + B650 mobo + Lian Li OD11 (bought). Which frees up the 12700K + Z790M ITX + NR200P MAX to possibly go towards an RTX 4090.

Then in 2025/26 this may become a Zen 6 AMD + Nvidia 5000 series GPU.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
wow 86 to 95 is that 720p with 4090 ? :eek: , lol you'll have to get new board as well

Literally 720p, and from that review the 7800x3D can be almost half the performance of the 14700K in some non-gaming uses - I've not seen it that far behind in other reviews. Definitely not a good move IMO at higher resolutions if you do anything much other than gaming.

Back
Top Bottom