140mm case fans?

Caporegime
What are the best 140mm case fans in peoples experiences? which hum? which don't? and what have people returned because they were just too loud?

I was looking at Noctua AF14 but then see people on reddit etc saying they have annoying humming sounds, seems artic p14 are supposed to be good?

Rather stay away from Corsair seems they are more bothered about bling than actual performance, lianli l140 are tempting though but seems they have not so great quality control and some come with bad bearings.

so whats peoples real world experience and go to fans? seems I can't just look at the decibels when the resonance hum makes all the difference

Caporegime
OP
bleh no one uses 140mm case fans? I ordered some Noctua NF-A14 and will just prey they don't get bad resonance/hum from being intake fans behind a filter

Soldato
Arctic are in the range that gives me the annoying pitch noise, Swapped to Phanteks T30 and Noctua NF-A14 and much nicer sound. Taking all the T30's out as I'm swapping to NF-A14 as fancied running 4 x 140mm fans instead of 6 x 120mm in my case.

Caporegime
OP
Noctua AF14 came yesterday and really happy with them :)
Can't believe the boxes they come in lol... probably cost a few quid each alone

Soldato
Can't comment on 140mm noctua's but 120 chromax are pretty quiet, not as quiet as reviews seem to make out imo though. No obvious resonance so far so I'd assume 140mm's are pretty similar.

As to 140mm, I've had good experience with bequiet silent wing 2/3 fans (they've just released v4 version which are supposedly better). Can't say I had any resonance from them over the 4 years I used them.

I've got an corsair ml fan in my psu, it has an annoying 'whine' when it spins up (it's usually off), I sent lian li al120 rgb (120mm's admittedly) back due to resonance and other noise issues, the vader ek fans I got with my aio suck from a noise ad resonance perspective.

In all honesty though, in my experience resonance is made worse by rubbish case feet, my bequiet case has some nice beefty rubber which isolates the case from the desk, the lian li o11 evo doesn't and really amplifies resonance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Frankly, there are no GOOD 140mm fans yet. Nothing comparable to a12x25 or t30 from phanteks. Both of this fan are expected this or next year in 140 version. Other than that, the new be quiet pro 140s seem to be pretty good. If you don't care about the noise that much, FHP141, got 3 of them under my GPU and they move air. Lot's of it

Soldato
After running the NH-A14 for a few days no matter what fan profile I adjust them to, they have a odd hum resonance occasionally and it's one of those noises once you hear it you always hear it. I can't fault the NH-A12x25 that is silent, I think I'll be taking the 140mm out and going back to 120mm.

Soldato
I'm in the market for some new 140mm fans (new case = new fans) and have been looking at the A14's think I will avoid and look at the P14 Arctics....

Soldato
I'm in the market for some new 140mm fans (new case = new fans) and have been looking at the A14's think I will avoid and look at the P14 Arctics....
The new SW4 from be quiet are probably the best performing right now, but supposedly this year noctua will release the 140 version of the a12x25.

Caporegime
OP
I went with A14 and they do hum a bit when they get near like 60%+ but honestly there's no reason to really have them going that high.
you could limit to 50% and still have enough airflow. I just set mine up to be a 1%:1c ratio though so when my cpu its 60c my fans are 60%

Gaming I;m usually only 40-45c with the odd 50c spike anyway

Soldato
P14 is quiet even at full speed. They push about the same amount of air as a high performance 12cm fan. You basically get a decent enough CFM but at whisper quiet performance.

Bionix has much better performance. But noise along with that. And cost.

For the cost of P14 you really can’t go wrong.

Soldato
P14 is quiet even at full speed. They push about the same amount of air as a high performance 12cm fan. You basically get a decent enough CFM but at whisper quiet performance.

Bionix has much better performance. But noise along with that. And cost.

For the cost of P14 you really can’t go wrong.
I picked up a 5pack of Arctic P14's from a competitor last week, much improvement over the stock 120mm fans I was running in my Fractal R6 so much quieter.

Back
Top Bottom