• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1440p Gaming... RTX 3070 worth upgradeing??

Associate
I currently run an nVidia 3070 FE @ 1440p, and have been thinking of possibly upgrading with the newer cards coming out. With a budget of around £625, would it be worth it, and what would you all recommend? I had looked at the 7800XT and the 4070 Super, but couldnt decide between them.
The games I play are not exactly "taxing" graphically, but I do have to turn down some of the higher end features at times, hence my thoughts on an upgrade. My games list is (boring, I know) American Truck Sim, Euro Truck Sim 2, RDR2, Far Cry 3/4/5 (possibly 6 soon), Farming Simulator 22 and I have Cyberpunk but have not yet managed to get into it.

Any thought's gratefully received, as I am very torn at the moment, as to whether the time is right to spend or not.

Many thanks. Ian

It (4070 Super) is a fairly modest upgrade, 42% faster * according to TPU (or 82.6 fps average, to 118.6 fps average @ 1440p), but nvidia did build in the early expiry of the 4070 Super with 12GB of VRAM, the same way they put 8GB of VRAM in your 3070.

* FYI: If you play with high settings enabled (and/or ray tracing) in newer games, the average increase can be quite a bit higher than that.

Last edited:
It (4070 Super) is a fairly modest upgrade, 42% faster * according to TPU (or 82.6 fps average, to 118.6 fps average @ 1440p), but nvidia did build in the early expiry of the 4070 Super with 12GB of VRAM, the same way they put 8GB of VRAM in your 3070.

* FYI: If you play with high settings enabled (and/or ray tracing) in newer games, the average increase can be quite a bit higher than that.
So would you discount the 7800xt then?

So would you discount the 7800xt then?
If you consider the 4070 Super not worthwhile from what I said, then the same argument would apply: yes. Though, actually it would be worse in a way (apart from the extra VRAM), because the 7800 XT doesn't have ray tracing as strong as the 4070 Super. The advantage is a lower price, so if you sold your 3070 the upgrade would cost less.

If you're on the fence, despite the numbers, I'd recommend watching some 4070 Super v 3070 videos on YouTube, like this one (avoid videos without actual footage), since it can help clarify exactly what kind of gains you're looking at:

Surprised no one is mentioning the 7900 GRE at that budget? Seems like a fantastic value card between the 7800 and 7900

Last edited:
we are less than a year out from next launch and folk talking about upgrading to this current gen, boggles the mind :cry:.

I know what you mean, But that could be a whole year of your life wasted playing games at crap FPS ;)

Buy a new GPU now if you have the spare cash and then just buy the new next gen GPU when it comes out next year :cry:

Last edited:
The 7800XT makes no sense at all now that you can get the better 7900GRE for a similar price. The 7800XT and every card below it needs a significant price cut now the GRE is out and AMD has made every card below it look like terrible value.
Some people can’t stretch another £50 as they factor in money to spend elsewhere eg RAM, fans etc.

Also why don’t they stretch another £150 and get a 7900 XT or another £250 and get a XTX. There has to be threshold in everyone’s minds.

7800xt and 7900 GRE have the same cost per frame btw. 10% more performance for 10% more money. (MSRP for the 7800xt is £473 vs £522 for the 7900 GRE).

They’re both much of a muchness.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, But that could be a whole year of your life wasted playing games at crap FPS ;)
On a 3070 at 1440p? On games that aren't "graphically taxing". No chance. Plenty enough oomph in there to turn a few settings down and/or use DLSS/FSR to get more than acceptable framerates for now.

Unless he has money to burn on the current overpriced junk from AMD and Nvidia, he's much better off waiting until next gen now. And I'm sure, even in the unlikely event he has to wait up to a "whole year", that he won't really see "his life wasted". Oh, the drama in some people's posts round here. :D

Last edited:
On a 3070 at 1440p? On games that aren't "graphically taxing". No chance. Plenty enough oomph in there to turn a few settings down and/or use DLSS/FSR to get more than acceptable framerates for now.

Unless he has money to burn on the current overpriced junk from AMD and Nvidia, he's much better off waiting until next gen now. And I'm sure, even in the unlikely event he has to wait up to a "whole year", that he won't really see "his life wasted". Oh, the drama in some people's posts round here. :D

What happened to this forum :confused: Why are people coming out with all this sensible junk :D

What happened to the times when someone would come on here an ask what to buy for a £500 budget and we make them end up forking out £1000 :cry:

Last edited:
Some people can’t stretch another £50 as they factor in money to spend elsewhere eg RAM, fans etc.

Also why don’t they stretch another £150 and get a 7900 XT or another £250 and get a XTX. There has to be threshold in everyone’s minds.

7800xt and 7900 GRE have the same cost per frame btw. 10% more performance for 10% more money. (MSRP for the 7800xt is £473 vs £522 for the 7900 GRE).

They’re both much of a muchness.

I don't know what you think is so funny about what I said because it's true. AMD pricing the 7900GRE where they have does make every one of their cards under it look like terrible value. Aside from the Pulse which always seems to be on offer and is now pre order every other 7800XT is over £500 and most are over £529 which is what you can pick up a 7900GRE for so why would anyone buy a 7800XT over a 7900GRE?

I don't know what you think is so funny about what I said because it's true. AMD pricing the 7900GRE where they have does make every one of their cards under it look like terrible value. Aside from the Pulse which always seems to be on offer and is now pre order every other 7800XT is over £500 and most are over £529 which is what you can pick up a 7900GRE for so why would anyone buy a 7800XT over a 7900GRE?
On the AMD website the 7800xt is at a MSRP of £473 so it’s £49 cheaper (than a recently available reference 7900 GRE for £522) and 10% slower. Same cost per frame. I’m not saying the GRE is bad value just some people can’t stretch an additional £50.

I also agree with you, if an AIB 7800xt is over £500 then the AIB GRE is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom