1440p Gsync without blacklight bleed?

Associate
When I see the light bleed on these so called premium monitors it puts me off upgrading. My main monitor is an NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3, AMVA panel - no light bleed and it's almost 9 years old.

Soldato
When I see the light bleed on these so called premium monitors it puts me off upgrading. My main monitor is an NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3, AMVA panel - no light bleed and it's almost 9 years old.

You and me both; Dell 2412 myself :D Only reason I've got this is because it was spare at work and I could validate it being good. Prior to that I had a 2407, and it's still flipping perfect 10 years later... sPVA panels were glorious too, lovely colours, just gets really hot in use.

The strange thing to me is how it seems more common now more than ever.

Money :/ Costs em a few quid more to put a polariser in to remove BLB, so they don't. Unfortunately the whole monitor market became a race to the bottom on price, rather than a race to the top on quality, and we got a VHS vs Betamax situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
In case anyone searches this topic in the future, I'll give some updates. After two Asus PG279Q, I've decided to give the ViewSonic XG2703-GS a go, it arrives later today.

Associate
In case anyone searches this topic in the future, I'll give some updates. After two Asus PG279Q, I've decided to give the ViewSonic XG2703-GS a go, it arrives later today.
That's disappointing for you. Got my PG279Q Thursday, sucks how temperamental they are.

Soldato
OP
That's disappointing for you. Got my PG279Q Thursday, sucks how temperamental they are.

Yeah, the 1440p, gsync IPS market is **** to be honest. There's only 4 options. The concern I had with the PG279Q is that if I eventually got a good one, if I ever had to RMA it I'd just get a bad one back. I'm not saying the Viewsonic will be much different, but if they're all bad, at least that one is cheaper.

Associate
Yeah, the 1440p, gsync IPS market is **** to be honest. There's only 4 options. The concern I had with the PG279Q is that if I eventually got a good one, if I ever had to RMA it I'd just get a bad one back. I'm not saying the Viewsonic will be much different, but if they're all bad, at least that one is cheaper.

Yeah, fair point. Luckily mine had no issues, but I'd have been extremely frustrated if it did. Felt like a risk buying it to be honest.

Associate
I'd be interested to hear what the viewsonic one is like, kinda interested in getting one

Soldato
OP
Yeah, fair point. Luckily mine had no issues, but I'd have been extremely frustrated if it did. Felt like a risk buying it to be honest.

Yeah, I'm annoyed at the whole situation, I expected there to be more options. While there is 4 choices, the ACER and the Viewsonic use the same panel, so does the AOC and the ASUS. So, there's really only 2 options. That being said, you're picking the brand based on build quality of the monitor and, hopefully, quality control.

I'd be interested to hear what the viewsonic one is like, kinda interested in getting one

I'll be sure to post an update when it arrives later today.

Soldato
OP

It's great! Both my Asus had dead pixels and horrible backlight bleed. This one has no dead pixels and the faintest spot (cut a penny in half - sort of size) of backlight bleed at the top, in the middle. It's only just noticeable on 100% brightness, against a totally black background and in a pitch black room. When I properly calibrate the monitor I doubt you'll be able to see it at all. In short, I'm happy and I'll be keeping this one.

Associate
Yeah, I'm annoyed at the whole situation, I expected there to be more options. While there is 4 choices, the ACER and the Viewsonic use the same panel, so does the AOC and the ASUS. So, there's really only 2 options. That being said, you're picking the brand based on build quality of the monitor and, hopefully, quality control.

I'll be sure to post an update when it arrives later today.
Yeah, I suppose. It's irritating to purchase a super premium monitor for £650 and still have to worry about quality issues. For that price, every panel should be absolutely perfect.

Associate
It's great! Both my Asus had dead pixels and horrible backlight bleed. This one has no dead pixels and the faintest spot (cut a penny in half - sort of size) of backlight bleed at the top, in the middle. It's only just noticeable on 100% brightness, against a totally black background and in a pitch black room. When I properly calibrate the monitor I doubt you'll be able to see it at all. In short, I'm happy and I'll be keeping this one.
Sounds good. Going to wait till Monday to decide if I'm going to go with vega.
If not think I'll get this and a gtx 1080

Soldato
OP
Sounds good. Going to wait till Monday to decide if I'm going to go with vega.
If not think I'll get this and a gtx 1080

I had a Fury and a freesync monitor, I too was waiting on Vega. It was disappointing so I jumped ship and picked up a monitor and a 1080ti, I don't regret it at all.

Associate
Yeah leaning more towards the Nvidia option at the moment. Just the price of the gpu and monitor that's putting me off.
Already told the wife the monitor is only £300 never mind a gpu

Soldato

The Viewsonic sounds really good :) Are you happy with its Gsync performance and what GPU have you connected it to...?

Reading a review about it and it is rated well.

Did you have your own DP cable or does it come with one already...? I guess that you would need a pretty good DP cable to support the range of refresh rates on the monitor.

It seems to be temporarily out of stock from where I would buy it from, when it comes to monitors you really need to have the comfort of dealing with a supplier where it is very easy to exchange them. It took three before I got my Benq 27" when I bought it in 2014.

I really do not like buying a monitor, it is always a panel lottery.

Now that I have just bought a 1080Ti I think that the Viewsonic should compliment it well.

Damn they are expensive tho.

Soldato
User pictures of backlight bleed always make me laugh. Here are my monitors:

MYYxVACh.jpg

4eKpGb9h.jpg

Obviously the 2nd looks far worse and would be horrible to use. Except I only use one monitor and just changed the settings on my camera. And neither picture looks anything like real life.

Soldato
OP
User pictures of backlight bleed always make me laugh. Here are my monitors:

Obviously the 2nd looks far worse and would be horrible to use. Except I only use one monitor and just changed the settings on my camera. And neither picture looks anything like real life.

I find in a pitch blank room, with a full black image on the screen, ISO 400 is the closest to what it looks like with the naked eye.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The Viewsonic sounds really good :) Are you happy with its Gsync performance and what GPU have you connected it to...?

Reading a review about it and it is rated well.

Did you have your own DP cable or does it come with one already...? I guess that you would need a pretty good DP cable to support the range of refresh rates on the monitor.
There's a DP cable in the box and it's holding 165hz without a problem for me.

On the general topic, there was initially clear BLB on purely black images but after calibrating the monitor properly (including dropping the brightness to 30 from the default of 100!) it's hard to notice.

Back
Top Bottom