• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1440p Ultrawide experiences

Soldato
I've left mine at default on BF1 - I think it adjusts for the 21:9 aspect anyway so any further adjustment isn't really necessary.

I should mention it's not just new games which support 21:9 properly. Even Borderlands 2, which is over four years old now, supports 3440x1440 perfectly and looks amazing.

Caporegime
I've left mine at default on BF1 - I think it adjusts for the 21:9 aspect anyway so any further adjustment isn't really necessary.

I should mention it's not just new games which support 21:9 properly. Even Borderlands 2, which is over four years old now, supports 3440x1440 perfectly and looks amazing.

BL2 is amazing on Superwide....it's one of my fav games

Soldato
Wow thats a lot of time to put into that game :) i agree it was a great game but i thought my 150 hours i put into it was a lot. I think i spoiled it for myself using all them keys to get all the best guns, i should have just farmed them and i would enjoyed doing it.

Permabanned

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy all look great in ultrawide too.

There's some amazing vegetation mods now that make the zone a treat too see and many newer games are put to shame by this trilogy from 2007 to 2009.

mP4hIkah.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Well thanks for this guys, I was in 2 minds about a 27" 1440 monitor or a 29" LG Superwide for an xmas pressie from the Wife...think the ultrawide is a must!

I really only play BF1 so good to hear the support is great for it.

Permabanned
Well thanks for this guys, I was in 2 minds about a 27" 1440 monitor or a 29" LG Superwide for an xmas pressie from the Wife...think the ultrawide is a must!

I really only play BF1 so good to hear the support is great for it.

Something worth noting:

A 34" 21:9 has the same screen height as a 27" 16:9 has.

I think you'll find that a 29" 21:9 has around the same screen height as a 24" 16:9 but you'd need to double check that and depending on what your moving from decide if it's what you want.

I know the 34" matches a 27" as I had both side by side.

Soldato
Couldn't go back to 16:9 now :D. 21:9 100hz is just plain awesome. I too had a swift but sold that immediately when I got my pg348q. It's just far nicer to look at, everything including the desktop feels far roomier and open. Witcher 3 for example is beautiful.

Also Asus warranty, mine developed a screen fault after 3 months. Was exchanged at the door with a brand new panel within 5 days.

The only thing that annoys me is support on a few games, like overwatch for example. But the vast majority of non supporting games can be fixed very easily. The overall amount of non supporting games is quite small.

Soldato
If I don't feel so rich, can I go for ultrawide 1080p ? Or not worth it? I am on 16:9 1080p atm, and wanted to go to 16:9 1440p but I might reconsider after reading this....

Associate
Had my X34A a couple of weeks and 'only' run it with a GTX 1070, but the witcher 3 is maxed out except hairworks, foliage distance set to high and shadows medium because there's little difference to me on a higher setting. I haven't actually checked the fps, but I haven't noticed any problem.

In terms of productivity I do enjoy having say a PDF and word document open side by side at a good size and still having some room for a bit smaller browser window or something.

Is it worth nearly £1k?...always going to be subjective. I'd say they probably aren't worth that much but that's what they can get away with pricing them at... But you can't take your cash to the grave so treat yourself :D

Caporegime
If I don't feel so rich, can I go for ultrawide 1080p ? Or not worth it? I am on 16:9 1080p atm, and wanted to go to 16:9 1440p but I might reconsider after reading this....

I wouldn't got 34" superwide 1080p

I also wouldn't go 29" superwide 1080p

The former would mean a loose pixel pinch and the latter like gaming on a wide 24" monitor.

34" 1440p is where its at...

Save up :)

Caporegime
Had my X34A a couple of weeks and 'only' run it with a GTX 1070, but the witcher 3 is maxed out except hairworks, foliage distance set to high and shadows medium because there's little difference to me on a higher setting. I haven't actually checked the fps, but I haven't noticed any problem.

In terms of productivity I do enjoy having say a PDF and word document open side by side at a good size and still having some room for a bit smaller browser window or something.

Is it worth nearly £1k?...always going to be subjective. I'd say they probably aren't worth that much but that's what they can get away with pricing them at... But you can't take your cash to the grave so treat yourself :D

Indeed, A monitor is a sound investment and will last years...Might aswell treat yourself.

Caporegime
lol its just like 4:3 vs 16:9 all over again

Yup :D 16.9 belongs in a museum now :D :p Only way I would ever go back to 16.9 is for OLED.

I think you'll find that a 29" 21:9 has around the same screen height as a 24" 16:9 but you'd need to double check that and depending on what your moving from decide if it's what you want.

29" 21.9 is the same height as a 23" 16.9 monitor, in fact, 29" 21.9 is ever so very very very slightly larger in vertical height.

the latter like gaming on a wide 24" monitor.

eh? That makes no sense, that is exactly what 21.9 monitors are suppose to be, hence the name super/ultra wide :p

That is more or less saying even with a 34" monitor, it is like gaming on a wide 27" monitor :p

I went from a 23.5" 16.9 1080P monitor to a 29" 21.9 monitor and it is far better in every way, just as it would be going from a 27" 1440P to a 34" 1440P 21.9 monitor.

If people want to learn more about 21.9 and I mean everything there is to know about 21.9!!! Then check my thread out:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18684417

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom