• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14900KS/Apex Encore - Bios Issues

Associate
Hi all,

I was having stability issues with the first release bios and my 14900KS so I flashed to the current BIOS 1301.

It seems to have sorted stability issues, but at stock it downclocks really badly under gaming load (does not sustain 5.9 all core like the previous bios and the wattage seems to be capped much lower.)

I tried tested 'Asus Advanced OC option' that loaded MCE (Multicore Enhancement) and my voltages skyrocketed (highest I saw was 1.563 which is horrible.)

But the game wattage was much higher and the clocks were not dropping so much (although they were still not staying at 5.9)

I really don't know what to do with this setup anymore. I literally just wanted to get it stable at stock settings (but not have gimped performance.)

Does anyone have any views or idea/possible solutions?

Thank you!

How much does it downclock? Does this have any meaningful impact on your FPS?

Realistically, I'd have thought that a 14900KS is more than enough, even if it runs a few hundred Mhz slower. Most of these CPUs can be limited to around 125-150 watts in games and barely lose any performance.
I see some cores go to 800Mhz but bounces all around the low 5000 and up to 5900 all core but never stays 5900.

I got the really high CPU voltage in the bios with MCE enabled (seems to be the most stable option)

1.563v in the bios. It stays there for a few seconds and then goes to about 1.52ish.

In windows I have never seen HWinfo64 go above 1.527v (although that is high enough.)

I can stop the CPU hitting that voltage in bios with setting the cpu boost boot option.

Last edited:
A few rambling, and certainly not based on experience, thoughts...

You note that you had stability issues with your first BIOS that allowed your CPU to maintain the all core clock of 5.9Ghz.

You flashed an updated BIOS that improved stability BUT will no longer boost to those previous speeds, where it was unstable....

Are your expectations of what you feel the CPU should be running at based on what it can realistically and maintain stability, assuming heat can be managed..?
Genuinely, I do not know anymore where they are up to with the hot melt RL CPU's at the absolute top end in combination with manufacturers settings / Nvidia flipping the lid off the can of worms and Intels less than obligitory recommended settings.

I'll link you to this page of a review of the CPU you are using....

Linky link

and.....

Intel-Core-i9-14900-KS-Review-The-Last-of-its-Kind-Overclocking-Boost-Clock-Frequencies-Tech-Power-Up.png

they had to work to get the CPU stable at 5.8Ghz all core overclock.

MCE is going to try and boost all the cores to that of the highest running core, for me that would not be ideal. Then again I would not need that either.

As @Jay85 noted in his other thread, the monitoring software can help.

Even Intel's XTU can offer something to try, over that of the BIOS. But, like I mentioned, I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect from that CPU with the recent events occuring.
If you try XTU then the BIOS should have no enhancements set.

Without MCE do you see the odd, I think 2, cores boosting to 6.2Ghz..?

Good luck.
Hi, thanks for all the info and opinion.

Just like you said really, I wanted to achieve the similar running of 5.9 all core in games, as I believe it should run.

Yes, with and without MCE it still boosts to 6.2 on 2 cores.

No worries, you are welcome :)

Achieve the similar running conditions that you had at the start........without the stability issues you had of course.

Should it run at 5.9Ghz all core as per spec as std behaviour..?

Genuine question, not looked at what that CPU is designed to run at when running all core, perhaps more relevant as there seems to be a factor where scaling back some of the unstable settings were applied by some board vendors.
In that linked article they got theirs to run at 5.8Ghz all core as an overclocked setting.
I guess if you look at the 14900ks product page then it does mention boosting to certain clocks under thermal and power conditions so maybe you are right and new bios versions enforce more of this.

The trouble is it was down clocking way more than advertised speeds.

I’ve been continuing to run with MCE enabled. No WHEA errors yet but its runs stupid voltages. It runs above 1.5v in certain games (cyberpunk is a big one for this)

I am still worried on stability though as I am getting crash to desktop in certain games.

Also the load voltage is crazy in that it just seems to go to the highest voltage seen under load in some games rather than the highest voltage being the idle voltage. Hope that makes some sense. I mean that I usually observed that a cpu voltage reduces from max (idle) under load, not go to the max.

Back
Top Bottom