£1500 for a Core2Duo Rig

Associate
im another who wont be buying a quad core, honestly dont see the point unless your doing a lot of multi tasking and is a over kill for gaming, considering there gonna start at what £500+ makes it pointless to me unless you have a lot of cash to burn and like to brag.

one more note, aslong as you get a mobo with the 975 chipset youll be fine, crossfire wont run well on the 965 due to one slot only being 4x :(

Soldato
The setup looks spot on, Just remember...Theres a life outside of Oblivion :p

Anyways, Just wanna say something about the quad core stuff, You guys are talking like programs arent going to be changing to impliment more cores.

In the future it wont be prime on 3 cores and a program on the 4th, it will be a program using all cores available to do the job its asked to do. If one core is available it will use the 1 and do the job slower, If there are 4 cores you'll see a massive improvement when the program/game in question takes advantage.

Soldato
I don't see what all the fuss is with quad core. You can run prime95 on 3 cores and game. Whooopty doo

hmmmm ok....I guess some people like having the latest tech and know they are getting the best they can for their money, rather then spending blindly..

In the future it wont be prime on 3 cores and a program on the 4th, it will be a program using all cores available to do the job its asked to do. If one core is available it will use the 1 and do the job slower, If there are 4 cores you'll see a massive improvement when the program/game in question takes advantage

If one core is available it will use the 1 and do the job slower,

precisely

If there are 4 cores you'll see a massive improvement when the program/game in question takes advantage

I could not have put it better myself ;)

Back to the point though, as I said its your call......I just said I could not justify spending 1500 now instead of waiting a few months for the best.....plus its not like your current rig desperately requires changing...

Your call....

goodluck with whatever u decide...

Associate
OP
Mostly going to be used for gaming and some video encoding.

Agree with the quad core scenario - too pricey and pretty pointless as bragging rights dont interest me.

Oblivion - never played it, but I may consider it with this set up :D

Cheers all

Bry.

Soldato
xirokx said:
Back to the point though, as I said its your call......I just said I could not justify spending 1500 now instead of waiting a few months for the best.....plus its not like your current rig desperately requires changing...

goodluck with whatever u decide...

thats the problem with pc's. WAit for the new gen and it will be stupidly expensive and will be outdated within 18months by something better on the horizon. I seriously recommend an E6300... a steal at not much over a 100 notes, with a 256mb x1900xt or 2nd hand 512mb x1900xt performing 90% of the functions with top notch performance.

Why spend £500 more for that extra 10% when you could do soo much more with that money. But if you have it then go for it !

Last edited:
Associate
OP
adfinni said:
thats the problem with pc's. WAit for the new gen and it will be stupidly expensive and will be outdated within 18months by something better on the horizon. I seriously recommend an E6300... a steal at not much over a 100 notes, with a 256mb x1900xt or 2nd hand 512mb x1900xt performing 90% of the functions with top notch performance.

Why spend £500 more for that extra 10% when you could do soo much more with that money. But if you have it then go for it !

I am not looking for bleeding edge gear, hence my choice of Gfx's cards.
I have enough money to buy the X1950XTX's but I just dont think it is a justified price increase for the performance gain.
As stated above running at 1680x1050 will not push a Crossfire setup but hopefully early next year I will be looking at buying a 24" widescreen so there is my reason for going Crossfire.

As for DX10 cards, I will probably be building another system based around Vista and DX10 this time next year - to be used as a show system - once all the main DX10/Vista bugs have been ironed out.

Bry.

Associate
wannabedamned said:
Anyways, Just wanna say something about the quad core stuff, You guys are talking like programs arent going to be changing to impliment more cores.
but how long is this going to take? you seen how long weve waited for them to take advantage of 2 cores so by the time they utilize 4 they wont be worth anything.
not having ago just stating good points ;)

Caporegime
Crossfire is completely pointless with that rig, buy 1x X1950XTX and wait for Nvidia G80, if you buy crossfire now so later in the day you're literally throwing money away. It's silly to spend so much on GPU's so close to the next gen, use some common sense dude.

Last edited:
Associate
Richdog said:
Crossfire is completely pointless with that rig, but 1x X1959XTX

Whats a X1959XTX? :p
Yeah crossfire is totaly pointless at the res you are running. Totaly stupid throwing your money away. Forget the 2nd card and just give the money to me, so much simpler + you will have me as a friend :)

Seriously Crossfire at that res is totaly insane. 1 x1900XT would do it.
Cheaper to get one X1950XTX.

Back
Top Bottom