150W Rackmount PSU enough for basic A64 spec?

Suspended
Ok simple question, would a 1U rackmounted 150W PSU be able to run:

A64 CPU
Mobo
1x HDD
Ram

All else is on board the mobo, VGA, NIC etc. Single CPU fan and 2 chassis fans.

Hi, the only problem is will the 150W PSU have the extra 4 pin 12v connector to plug in to make sure that the A64 gets the additional 12V it needs to run the processor besides the mobo.

Anthony

acharris said:
Hi, the only problem is will the 150W PSU have the extra 4 pin 12v connector to plug in to make sure that the A64 gets the additional 12V it needs to run the processor besides the mobo.

Anthony

Yes as it previously ran a P4.

With 1 hard disk, integrated low power graphics solution, and no overclocking it would be no problem at all. AMD64's are not that power hungry, 85-95W officalliy I believe but thats like 'worst case' processor at full load+

A high quality 150W PSU rated for continuous operation probably has some in reserve for transient peaks which are higher.

I am running a 3000+ venice, MSI K8NGM2-FID mobo with on board 6150 gfx, 4 x 256mb ram, 1 x 160gb HD and 2 x compro tv tuners.

Measuring power draw at the wall it idles at 68W and the highest load i have seen is around 110W, maybe a little less. Stressing everything to the max I can't see it being any higher than say 120W.

Don't forget that includes the PSU inefficiency. at low loads that probably accounts for 30% or more of the power draw at the wall. This means the PC itself probably never draws more than 80-90W even in the most extreme circumstances.

I'd say that a 150W PSU is enough assuming:

1. the psu actually provides it's rated 150W at higher temps (ie middle of summer)

2. It meets the 12v requirements.

Marc

I dont consider temp's to be an issue as its at a data centre with a constant temp 365 days a year. The PSU has been running a same spec P4 for well over a year without a hitch, I think it'll be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom