• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1600x to 3600?

Associate
I'm considering upgrade my 1600x to some 3000 series.
Is it worth?
Will likely upgrade motherboard too.
At the moment:
Asus B350-F
XFX 2080
16GB 8-Pack 1600 die b

Associate
OP
Quick question: what temperatures are you getting at the PCH of the B350F? Mine, now with a fan point at it, between 40C and 50C. The CPU and GPU are watercooled, top fans and bottom fans as intake. Also the M2 is at the 40's Celsius at idle, low 50's under load. Any joy running cooler?
I'm considering using the rear fan as intake, and change the front to exhaust. Case is the Enthoo Primo, top rad 420 push/pull intake, bottom rad 280 push/pull intake.

Associate
OP
At the moment, all seems ok. Had the BIOS updated to the last version few weeks ago. At the same time added another 16GB 8pack 3200 and still, no nasty surprises.
The processors, without any adjustments, is running cooler than the 1600x, and under over a hour stress testing, was at high 40s C. It's water cooled, but at the exactly same setup, I was getting mid 50s with the 1600x.
Another thing is, the PCH was way hot for my liking before, and still was. Despite good airflow, even with a fan closely pointed at it, was at mid 40s, and without the fan would go mid 50s. Replaced the thermal pad for the 1mm gelid gp extreme, which is rated at 12w/mk. Temperature now at mid 30s.
VRM still running as cool as before.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the update. Which water cooler are you using? Plus, what timings are you running the RAM at?
I'm using a custom loop: 420 and 280 rad, both push/pull, CPU and GPU blocks by EK, single D5 pump, at speed 3-4. All connected to amazing 10 14cm Arctic fans + 5 14cm Phanteks included with the case :D. But all capped just before the noise kicks in, so a relatively quiet system.
The RAM is running at their standard speed, recognised straight from the box.
I think the CPU may allow some drop in voltages, but overclocking it, I don't see much gain, as if it is running cool enough, the turbo to 4.2 should be enough.
The RAM I'm sure can either run at higher clocks, just relaxing the timings a bit or at the stock speed (3200) and may try to reduce a bit the timings or the voltage.

Back
Top Bottom