19" Hyundai L90D+ to something a little bigger ??

Associate
For a few years now I have loved my 19" Hyundai L90D+ TFT screen, even with a single lazy (constantly light blue) pixel, I hardly notice it now.

Now though I find myself looking for more visual space and with my gaming habit taking many hours in front of the 19" er it can sometimes tire me and the viewing angles are pretty restricted especially in the vertical plane.

I have looked through the Badass guides (as I did to pick my Hyundai all that time ago :cool:) but what to upgrade to ?

20"WS there seems little point even considering this option, not a whole lot gained for the cost ?

22"WS seem to be all TN film panels...which looks good for price, but sacrifices a little perfoamance and quality (I think I absorbed this right from the guide... Badass please correct if I am wrong).
also is there that much of am improvement over my current 19" ??

Although the Samsung SM226BW looks a mighty impressive screen and at a nice price.

24" is where the action seems to be at.. but if I go that high will I have to also upgrade my graphics card to game at the native resolution of these monitors ?
1920 x 1200 would demand a whole lot more of my hardware I would think ???:confused:

I have a reasonable machine spec (see sig) with the HIS X1900 XT-X 512mb feeding the display, and I currently fair quite well in terms of graphical detail settings pretty much always set to high at the resolution of 1280 X 1024... I wouldn't really want to upgrade most of my machine just for a larger display...not yet anyway. ;)

I haven't got the £450 to splash out on a nice new Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC and probably this is going to be my limiter.

As always, thoughts, opinions most welcome.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going from 4:3 to 16:10 adds a lot of area.

I have a 19' LCD standard 4:3. I saw a couple of 19' widescreen LCD's in the shops the other day - they looked big! I can only imagine a 20' widescreen would be pretty decent size, and 1680*1050 would look pretty sharp on the smaller screen :)

Associate
With your system...I wouldnt go over the 1680x1050 resolution...so for the biggest imnprovement over your 19"...Id go for a 22" Widescreen..such as the samsung. You will notice a huge change...but no so much so with a 20" widescreen. There is a lot to choose from now....and I dont think the viewing angles are ll that bad. They are good for gaming...but not so good for watching movies etc at a bit of distance. If you are like me and sit in front of the screen all the time...then a TN panel has no issues for you.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies...I do indeed sit directly in front of the screen, I play lots of RPG, FPS games and I like my current detail settings. I guess 22" would be a nice compromise between oodles of screen space and performance drop ( i.e. the extra burden on the X1900 XT-X.)

There don't seem to be many bench marks for the resolution of 1680 * 1050?

The Samsung looks a nice monitor, just a shame the web is littered with C, S and other panel codes and conflicting performance from users.

BTW I wasn't slating TN panels .....I just notice the vertical angle limitations of my current screen. :)

Soldato
I went from the Hyundai L90D+ to the Samsung 226BW and i dont regret it, the sammy screen is awesome, colours are a lot more vibrant than the L90D+

L90D+ is now demoted to my linux box :)

Associate
OP
I went from the Hyundai L90D+ to the Samsung 226BW and i dont regret it, the sammy screen is awesome, colours are a lot more vibrant than the L90D+

L90D+ is now demoted to my linux box :)

hahaaa Good to hear feedback from the actual screens I have / interested in....your machine is a lot higher spec than mine, I just wonder to what extent I will take a FPS hit by going to the 226BW and its native resolution.:confused:

Soldato
Well there is a performance hit maybe around 10 to 25% of a hit, really depends on your settings though.

The build quality of the Samsung 226BW is far superior than the L90D+ it will be the first thing you notice when ya take it out the box :)

Caporegime
Also consider the Samsung 215TW

This is a beaut of a 21" screen with a S-PVA samsung panel (no panel lottery)

IMO you won't miss the 1" compared to the 22" TN film panels and I would much rather have the better quality screen.

And can be had for a bargain £170 on the net at the moment.

Caporegime
Can't say because of forum rules but actually it is only £160 inc vat plus £20 postage and I can easily find another for £204 inc plus £20 postage.

You just ain't looking hard enough (or in the right places)

No you won't.

C64

C64

Soldato
Have they fixed the input lag issue with the samsung 215tw ?
google "215tw input lag" to see what i am talking about watch the youtube videos.
here's a good example picture look at the clocks
delay.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Point taken but it is inherrent with all lcd screens. I will admit that at 3-4 frames it is high on the Samsung but the Samsung SM-245T has even worse lag at 60 ms (4-5 frames) and there are plenty of other lcd monitors as high or higher.

If you don't want any lag you need to buy a CRT. End of story.

C64

C64

Soldato
No samsung have an inbuilt magiscreen to compensate but i just don't know
if they ever fixed it as in around 2006 it wasn't doing it's job correctly on this screen.

Back
Top Bottom