19" monitor ?

Associate
Ok im posting this for a friend whos after a new monitor, I've found the Samsung SM913N 19" for just over £180 online which i think is a good deal. He wants it to play mostly FPS games but hes got a baby due shorlty so does not want to go wasting too much cash, I dont know much about monitors so I told him I would post here to get the answers to a couple of questions

1) Basically can I get a better monitor for the cash he would be spending on the samsung?
2) Would he get a much better monitor if he was willing to spend say upto £250 instead?
3) If yes could then which one to get?

I tried to convince him to buy a 2405fpw but i think his pregnant wife would kill him where he stood :p

Associate
The short answere is no, I have a 913n and it is excelent for gameing. As far as I am aware there is nothing for the same money which performs as well. For £250 youd be looking maybe at one of the PMVA monitors but with the same 19" screen size, they are considdered to have better viewing angles and colour reproduction but if he is on a limited budget I think he would be more than satisfied with the 913.

Associate
Have a read of the review on this model here Samsung 913 TFT Review

It seems to be a good model for gaming but suffers from poor viewing angles. Others will offer further advice but yes, I think he can get a better model if he can manage to spend between £220 and £250. Try not to look at any models above that price range though as its very easy to get carried away and spend more than you really want to. Baddass and others will be on later to offer better advice than I can, but at least you can have a read up on this model for the time being. :)

[Edit] WILD9 posted while I was typing. He has one of these and is in a much better position to answer your question. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would say you cant do better than the 913N for the price really. Excellent screen and uses one of the most widely used and most well established panels in the 19" market atm. You'd have to be looking at a fair bit more cash, >£300 to move into the non TN Film market, and tbh i dont think you need to for the uses he wants.

Soldato
ACPCUP said:
Unless you want DVI.

I can't see any appreciable difference between my old monitor, Hitachi 17" using DVI and the 913N using analogue. The image really is that good. I was sceptical meself about this until I got one, plus loadsa other ppl can't be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom