1930s Semi Refurb - Part 13A of ... (Workshop Upgrades - Gym?)

Soldato
Hi folks,

I am hanging my tools up for a little while (2nd kid arriving in the next 3-5 weeks), but keen to keep something low-effort but high impact ticking over. I have a 12.8 x 2.93 space to work with, with a "garage vibe" in the front 3rd with a pit, then a workshop/storage vibe in the second 3rd, and then the final 3rd has just become a dumping ground.

Ultimately I think it'll be a space for a smiths machine. It does get quite cold in here though, and dust/crud from the workshop can make its way over (I think I am going to buy a dedicated shop vac for in here, often the main vac is by the job site).

Broadly, I am thinking I clear out everything, including the old workbench/MDF tool board (a bit sacrilege as I like 'heritage' things like that) and then do......something. Is it worth DPC'ing and fully separating the space? Insulating? Boarding out? Putting a ceiling in?*

Thoughts? Thanks!

309wlny.jpeg

*I am planning on swapping the roof in the 3-5 year time horizon and adding solar.

Smith machine can have advantages too, do you plan to squat and dead?

What is your normal workout routine?

If no squat and dead, a bench and dumbbells is another great option - but dumbbells aren't cheap.
My work out routine is I didn't know smiths and power rack were different :) So nothing! I will be starting at 0.
Probably bang in a cheap Chinese diesel heater rather than insulate etc. cheap to buy and run, set up timers etc for before you workout.
Would that do the full 13x3m building? I like the idea of leaving the walls as they are, and I know I'll have issues insulating and joining up the DPC that's already there etc. So just whacking heat in sounds good :D

Id certainly want it insulated but to be honest for the cost of a gym membership I just prefer going to the gym with all the equipment there vs a cold shed vibe :D
Am not a gym bro, do not like gyms :D

Mega space that. The OCD in me says yes to all of the above!!

I’d definitely consider how you plan for the roof - bearing in mind the weight and number of panels. I’m aiming to do something similar on a 7x4 slab on which currently stands a lean to conservatory.

Almost a shame to cover up the quite tidy looking roof trusses with board and insulation!

But well jelly. I’ve got two bathrooms and another 5 fire doors before I can even contemplate the garage / workshop / bike storage.

Best of luck with the tiny human!
The trick is not to finish any jobs. You can move on quicker :D

Back
Top Bottom