£1k Fake ebay purchases - what to do?

Yesterday a friend had various purchases made in his ebay account for £1k in total. Only noticed today as payment came out today.

Spoke to bank, they say we have to speak to the company bought from.

Speaking to ebay now, but wondered what is the right steps here.

Perhaps ebay will sort, but to avoid wasted time, should the bank not reverse this straight away if told this is fraud?

The main issue is this person doesn't have the money, it's made them over drawn and have bills to pay.

Thanks

Man of Honour
More info needed I think, was it taken out of his account via PayPal?

:edit: I have had stuff reversed in the past when reporting fraudulent transactions, maybe it depends on the bank. Mine was with Lloyds, at least 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was his ebay account hacked? Did you advise them to enable multi factor authentication after changing their password ? To stop any further purchases.

Was the purchases made with PayPal?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking at the screenshot they sent me, looks like it wasn't PayPal but card.

It's being sent to the same address, however item is coming from China. I guess they get their money and never send anything?

It was a load of purchases valued about £130 on average

Man of Honour
The main issue is this person doesn't have the money, it's made them over drawn and have bills to pay.
+ "Looking at the screenshot they sent me, looks like it wasn't PayPal but card."

This is why you should only have a credit card listed as a payment method for online shopping

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at the screenshot they sent me, looks like it wasn't PayPal but card.

It's being sent to the same address, however item is coming from China. I guess they get their money and never send anything?

It was a load of purchases valued about £130 on average
Shame they cannot wait, claim non delivery then get a refund

Soldato
Why are you getting involved?

Friend should contact bank, and bank should cancel card/put charges into dispute. If it is found it happened due to negligence then person will be found liable. If it is found to be a "hack" then bank will eat the cost.

Over £130 means you get S75, and you get a comparable protection if debit card IIRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why are you getting involved?

Friend should contact bank, and bank should cancel card/put charges into dispute. If it is found it happened due to negligence then person will be found liable. If it is found to be a "hack" then bank will eat the cost.

Over £130 means you get S75, and you get a comparable protection if debit card IIRC.
Theres like 7 transactions that average about that. Some more

I'm helping due to poor English in their part, and I'm working at the moment so don't have time to properly research, so figured the smart heads here know.

They already spoke to bank who told them to go to ebay. Just seemed like the bank should do more imo

Soldato
Someone hacked my account during the time the iPhone first came out and made a over price purchase of the phone from my paypal.

I spoke to my bank, they money was returned to my credit card immediately and they said they would deal with eBay/paypal…. Didn’t hear anything else after that.

Now that there’s paypal credit, it’s worth opening a paypal account even if you don’t use it… stops other people opening one in your name. Me and my mates use paypal all the time to transfer cash for meal, tickets, etc.. all the time. Saves us having to know each others account numbers.

Suspended
I don’t understand this. Your bank have a responsibility to protect you here. As soon as you claim a transaction is fraudulent they should be all over it. Definitely not leaving it up to eBay :confused:

Soldato
Someone hacked my account during the time the iPhone first came out and made a over price purchase of the phone from my paypal.

I spoke to my bank, they money was returned to my credit card immediately and they said they would deal with eBay/paypal…. Didn’t hear anything else after that.

Now that there’s paypal credit, it’s worth opening a paypal account even if you don’t use it… stops other people opening one in your name. Me and my mates use paypal all the time to transfer cash for meal, tickets, etc.. all the time. Saves us having to know each others account numbers.
I try and use Paypal when shopping online as much as possible and often shop elsewhere if somewhere doesn't offer Paypal checkout. They may have their issues but as far as I’m concerned the fewer places that have my card details the less chance there is of them becoming compromised.

Back
Top Bottom