1st build in a long time. Help needed

Associate
Hey everyone wondering if you can help me design/select parts for my new computer. Last time I built a PC was about 13 years ago (AMD phenom x4, 4gb ddr2, GeForce 9800gt, Assus m3n-hdmi) at the time I was much more up to date with computers and tech but since then I’ve fallen really far behind. I was planning to ask for some help in fixing an issue I had with that PC but as my dad has just informed me he threw it away I’m building a new one that’s he’s mainly funding.

It will be used for very light gaming only. Mainly general PC stuff (web browsing, watching media etc) and my trying to learn programming, networking and other associated IT subjects as I’m considering a career change into cyber security

It will have a triple screen set up, most likely using ACER SA240YBbmipux 23.8" ZeroFrame Freesync 1ms IPS Full HD Monitor but the central screen will also be connected to my work laptop via HDMI meaning my graphics card will need at least 1 display port for connecting to the central screen

I tend to prefer AMD processors, nvidia graphics, corsair PSUs and full size atx but I'm not a fanboy so will consider other options fairly. How does my suggested list below look?

MOBO
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 AM4 CPU

RAM
Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4-3200 Desktop Gaming Memory

STORAGE
WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal Hard Drive

PSU
Corsair RMx Series RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU

CASE
Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower Atx Case (black) - Airflow Edition

GRAPHICS
I have absolutely no idea what graphics card I should be looking at. Hoping to spend no more than £150 on it if possible

ANYTHING ELSE?
I’m thinking I'll want a stand off kit also but should I be looking at anything else. Is the stealth cooler that comes with the CPU good enough or should I look for a different one. Are the fans in the case suitable or should I be looking for better one, can the motherboard control these or should I look at a separate fan controller.

Looking quite good overall.

Though if you don't need wifi that price level could give some B550 board options.
And if you're building on tighter budget just take cheapest 3200MHz CL16 kit unless price difference is minimal.

Phanteks AMP is cheaper good quality 10 year warranty PSU.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09q-pt.html

And unless you're intending to keep using it long time with changed insides that case takes quite big part of budget.

Bundled stock HSF is basically sized for playing MS Word.
Wraith Prism would be actually quite good for lower Ryzens, but smaller models not.
For example this would be far better:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/jonsbo-cr-1400-92mm-argb-cpu-cooler-black-hs-004-jb.html

Hi

Why such a big case ?

Stock cpu cooler is ok but noisey.

Motherboard i personally would get a b550 motherboard which would support pcie4 in case you need that feature in the future.

Gpu is the difficult part as availability is a nightmare.

I’ve had quite a few people recommend the b550, which should mean I wouldn’t need to flash the bios immediately. Also been recommended to wait a bit (was going to do that anyway) and get a 5600g so that the onboard graphics will most likely be good enough to cover my immediate needs. I’d stick in an old 9800 gtx I have to get the extra connection I need for a triple monitor set up. I can then upgrade to a separate GPU later on if I feel I need it and the market becomes a little more sane.

All of this will mean I definitely need a CPU cooler.

The case was purely chosen because I like a big case (doesn’t have to be quite that big), is black and I thought it would have good airflow. Where I’m placing it, the sides will be pretty much covered so don’t need side fans, windows etc

I’ve had quite a few people recommend the b550, which should mean I wouldn’t need to flash the bios immediately. Also been recommended to wait a bit (was going to do that anyway) and get a 5600g so that the onboard graphics will most likely be good enough to cover my immediate needs. I’d stick in an old 9800 gtx I have to get the extra connection I need for a triple monitor set up. I can then upgrade to a separate GPU later on if I feel I need it and the market becomes a little more sane.

All of this will mean I definitely need a CPU cooler.

The case was purely chosen because I like a big case (doesn’t have to be quite that big), is black and I thought it would have good airflow. Where I’m placing it, the sides will be pretty much covered so don’t need side fans, windows etc
Case .

Lancool II is a good option.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=LANCOOL+II

Im thinking you could actually go intel 11400 use the onboard gpu.

Cooler

Arctic e34.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=arctic+e34

I’m a bit torn between the Corsair case and the lian li. Corsair has front 5.25 bays which would be handy if I want to fit a card reader or blu ray drive (already have an external dvd-rw) and the lian li didn’t seem to do that wel on the cooling test ran by gamers nexus. Unfortunately I can’t see that they’ve done a test on the Corsair to compare.

I prefer all aluminium cases as they are better shielded against RF interference.

Also you need to get a case with dust filters on the intake fans, as these save a lot of dust in the long term.

Last edited:
I prefer all aluminium cases as they are better shielded against RF interference.
Alu vs steel doesn't make any difference to that.
It's all about design/construction.
Meaning no plastic/glass sides etc.
(or those would need electrically conductive coating)

Back
Top Bottom