1yr old fence panels / dark stains need removing!

Associate
Purchased these fence panels a year ago and fitted them without the need as I thought they were treated?

I want to seal them now as they are getting some dark areas (see photos) what is this mould?

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Sand it out? Treat it first with mould “stuff”

I was thinking what people think of just using a clear decking stain as I can’t seem to find anything clear?

These are the fence panels:

These are my panels and mould?

My view is it's not mould but it's weathering. The compounds in the wood that give the current beige colour get broken down by the effect of water and sun and temperature change on the wood, and it goes silver grey. Eventually the whole fence will go this colour. It has only been pressure treated, and that is not enough to preserve colour. Once it has got weathered, you can't really change the colour, unless the weathering doesn't go far down, in which case you could sand off the weathered area (unlikely).

There is clear water-based wood preserver which would prevent rot and probably slow the weathering and keep the panels in better condition:

However, colour would probably still move to grey gradually, so if you want consistent colour, it's probably best to choose a coloured wood preserver (and probably not water-based).

Great, I think I will try and see if it will sand out. SO annoying though it shows as black as this.

My view is it's not mould but it's weathering. The compounds in the wood that give the current beige colour get broken down by the effect of water and sun and temperature change on the wood, and it goes silver grey. Eventually the whole fence will go this colour. It has only been pressure treated, and that is not enough to preserve colour. Once it has got weathered, you can't really change the colour, unless the weathering doesn't go far down, in which case you could sand off the weathered area (unlikely).

There is clear water-based wood preserver which would prevent rot and probably slow the weathering and keep the panels in better condition:

However, colour would probably still move to grey gradually, so if you want consistent colour, it's probably best to choose a coloured wood preserver (and probably not water-based).

Even pressure treated timber needs some care after its been up for a year or two. If you like the "new" timber look you'll find products that will retain that it for longer. There are also products out there that will take timber to grey/silver but retain moisture, moss and dirt resistance. I'm using some of this Owatrol’s H4 Wood & Stone on some new Siberian Larch (sanded to 80 grit to take it in)

Paint the insides of all your fences black.

It'll look better, help hide the horrible "fencing look", plus it'll make plants pop against the dark background.

It looks like sooty mould which is part of the natural weathering process the entire panel will turn grey eventually. If you want it a unform colour then paint it but even that will fade over time bleach or sand it would be short term solution but you're going to have repeat it more than likely

Looks like mould within the wood to me. Pressure treated timber shouldn't be doing that within a year of it being installed. Based on the B&Q link it has a 3 year guarantee, I'd be getting them replaced.

Only downside is if it isn't every panel you'll end up with brand new panels next to old ones. No matter what you do timber will age over time and go grey unless you stain it.

Back
Top Bottom