• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 670's or 1 780?

Associate
I think the general consensus is to go for the best single card you can buy over an SLI or Crossfire set up.

I cant afford the most expensive right away so will be getting a GTX770 then later on when cheaper get another one for SLI, That way I have something to look forward to ;)

Associate
If your experience of sli 670s has been good, which it sounds like, then I'd probably go with the same again.

Indeed, if you have had no issues then there is no need to upgrade.

Performance wise, 2 670's are faster than one 780. So one 780 will be a downgrade for you.

Soldato
Thanks guys for the feedback,Maybe 2 670's are the way forward :)

Only reason i was considering a 780
was because i was thinking about building a LAN system.

Because i'm not to sure that you can SLI on a LAN system.

Well you can if you build at least a mATX system.

For LAN gaming though I would rather have a small ITX system and say a single GTX770.

Associate
Since when do graphics cards go down in price. The 7970 i bought in jan 2012 is exactly same price as now. And thats when its on a 'this week only' deal otherwise its more expensive.

Its a lie to say gfx card prices go down, they only go down when they're replaced by a newer generation and that doesnt happen within a year or even two.

Permabanned
I think the general consensus is to go for the best single card you can buy over an SLI or Crossfire set up.

I cant afford the most expensive right away so will be getting a GTX770 then later on when cheaper get another one for SLI, That way I have something to look forward to ;)

Sorry but if the general consensus is single card why go SLI in the future? Just sounds contradictory dosnt it? Surely selling the 770 and getting the next fastest card "in the future" would be better?

Not having a dig there just wondering why you wouldnt recommend SLI for him but plan on doing it yourself is all. I say add a second card all day long. More than happy with mine.

Associate
Sorry but if the general consensus is single card why go SLI in the future? Just sounds contradictory dosnt it? Surely selling the 770 and getting the next fastest card "in the future" would be better?

Not having a dig there just wondering why you wouldnt recommend SLI for him but plan on doing it yourself is all. I say add a second card all day long. More than happy with mine.

It does sound contradictory :D I am looking for a graphics card at the moment myself and googling the big reviewers are saying a single powerful card wins it for them in overall gaming experience, But i can not afford say a GTX780 now so i would go for a GTX770 then when funds are available get another one (SLI) then in the end have a system that will be better than a single 780 hence something to look forward to.

I'm not even sure if i am making any sense at all :rolleyes::)

Man of Honour
It does sound contradictory :D I am looking for a graphics card at the moment myself and googling the big reviewers are saying a single powerful card wins it for them in overall gaming experience, But i can not afford say a GTX780 now so i would go for a GTX770 then when funds are available get another one (SLI) then in the end have a system that will be better than a single 780 hence something to look forward to.

I'm not even sure if i am making any sense at all :rolleyes::)

I think this big single card thing is over rated, if you gave a GTX 690 (and did not tell them it was a dual GPU setup) to everyone who said it, most of them would not realise they were not using a single GPU. It is very hard to tell the difference between a GTX 690 and a single Titan apart from the extra speed on the 690.

Soldato
Some people are more susceptible to microstutter than others.

Both ATI and Nvidia regularly release drivers giving huge boosts to multiu gpu setups in certain games obviously meaning multi gpu wasn't working/was sub par before the driver release.

Associate
i personally have never had any issues with sli, but i am currently on a single card setup ( gtx 780 ).

the 670 sli will be faster than a single 780, but a single 780 will draw less power and create less heat.

as for a lan system you can use any pc with a network card as a lan system, it all depends if you intend having it in the living room next to your tv or out of the way in a computer room.
if its in your living room on your tv then you probably want a sleek stylish itx/matx system, which means you would have to make sure you can fit sli in, also if you using this option on a tv then you are only running in 1080p and sli 670's will be overkill anyway so go for the 780, it all depends on your situation

Soldato
Since when do graphics cards go down in price. The 7970 i bought in jan 2012 is exactly same price as now. And thats when its on a 'this week only' deal otherwise its more expensive.

Its a lie to say gfx card prices go down, they only go down when they're replaced by a newer generation and that doesnt happen within a year or even two.

well when I bought my 1st 7970 reference same time as you I paid around £400.00, now it is £300.00.

Maybe the model that you have went up again, plus the dollar went up.

I bought 2x MSI 7950 some months ago and I paid £220.00 each, now they are around £250.00, but one year ago it was almost £300.00.

Back
Top Bottom