2 80gb budget ** Quiet + reliable!

Soldato
Im looking for 2 80gb hard drives, as one will be used for backups etc. which 2 shall i get. they need to be quiet, and reliable.. And fast if you can :D

cheers

Soldato
Generally the faster drives make more noise, Maxtors are fast, but noisey as hell.

Western Digital drives are quiet, unless you buy raptors.

I've got 3 sata drives, a regular WD, a Hitachi and a Raptor, and the raptor is the only one that makes noise.

Personally the Hitachi seems as fast as the regular WD drive even though it has a smaller cache.

Seagate and Samsung are popular amongst members here.

Everyone has a preference though....

Associate
I'd go for Hitachi or if you can stretch, get the Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive.

Avoid Maxtor at all costs. Slow, noisy, hot and unreliable.

Soldato
Well my Hitachi is 8mb cache, as far as i've seen so far, Hitachi's lower end sata drives don't have the 16mb cache yet.

Have purchased 2 Hitachi's though, the current one, 250gb sata2 and my old (in brothers system) 80gb regular sata 8mb cache, and they're both as good as each other. Only drive faster is the Raptor.

I spent 2 weeks reading reviews and opinions over the net when i brought my Hitachi, and its a good balance of performace and silence. Quicker then what i expected.

Soldato
I also have an Hitachi - the 250GB SATA II and I am very pleased with it. If you want excellent performance with near silent running then go Hitachi.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom