2 PCs and 1 Monitor How To Switch???

Associate
I got 2 PCs, one running DP and one running HDMI to the same monitor (LG 34UM95).

Peripherals are: Corsair k95 platinum (2x USB cable) & Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless with dongle.

What's the best way to switch PCs with this monitor without unplugging any cables at the back of each PC?

The monitor has: 3x USB inputs, 1x USB Up (which needs to be connected to the PC for the peripherals to work).

I was thinking of getting a USB Up splitter like this then running 1 cable from each PC into the splitter, whilst having the corsair and logitech connected to the 3x USB inputs in the monitor.

Would this work?

Then all I gotta do it switch between DP/HDMI depending on which PC is on.

Not sure what would happen if both PCs on at once, which one would the peripherals work with :confused:

Associate
OP
Wouldn't KVM HDMI mean I have to have HDMIs for both PCs as opposed to 1x HDMI and 1x DP?

Also can't I just KVM switch the USB Up and flick between HDMI/DP input using the monitor buttons?

LG-24UM95-review-montior-rear-ports.jpg

I'm not going to be switching from one PC to the other at rapid pace. 1 PC is for entertainment and the other is for stocks/financial stuff. I just don't wanna pull cables out.

Associate
OP
Don't sound like you need 2 pcs, you could even have 2 user accounts on 1 windows install and lock them down for your specifics.
I've done that before without success. Back in 2020 had 2x SSDs, 1 running Win 10, one running Win 8.1 on duel boot. The Win 10 SSD corrupted (maybe a virus?) and took out the Win 8.1 install so it wouldn't boot.

Had to reinstall Win 10, then access my files from the Win 8.1 drive as if it were an external HD. Didn't lose anything but was a close call.

The 2nd PC I built is literally my old Haswell PC but simplified (only 1 SSD, no CD drive etc). I only had to buy a PSU and £15 graphics card to get it working.

Associate
OP
I then have a USB switch that connects to each via a cable and again it detects what PC is on and I can use the keyboard\mouse on whatever system is running. listed below, quite old now though and no longer available but gives you an idea of what to look for.

That's what I was saying in OP but instead of having a separate USB hub like your link the monitor itself will be the hub and the 2 cables coming out the back of your hub will be split USB feeds to the monitor.

Associate
OP
Just to update I did what I said I would try in OP and it works fine... don't need KVM switch. Because it's USB Type B to power the ports at the back of the monitor I used a type B to regular USB adapter, then a small splitter and a couple USB extension cables I already had 1 going to each PC.

Only issue I'm having now is the ethernet splitter is causing no internet when it's connected to the other PC EVEN WHEN IT'S OFF. So I have to keep pulling out the ethernet cable of the PC not being used, so the PC being used can have internet... weird. Not a big issue as the ethernet splitter is easily in my reach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom