2 versions of xp installed

Associate
hi i need help as i've got 2 versions of XP installed on my HDD's now the one that it boots to isn't the one i need it to boot to. how do i make the PC boot to the other version

basically i had xp installed and then i installed a version of linux on another partition, didn't like it so i wiped the partition it was on and so XP wouldn't boot then.

so i've put a fresh install of xp on that partition so i can use the pc.
so i need to get back to the old version of xp and delete this version.

thanks

Associate
OP
no i don't get a boot menu it jut loads to the new version of xp.
when i deleted the linux partition i deleted the bootmenu for the old xp :(

Associate
you may be able to edit the boot.ini file to relist and access the old install

it will look like this
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

under the operating systems bracket add an additional line by copying and pasting
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

you will need to edit the (0)'s to suit your partition / drive setup
assuming you installed the xp you want to regain access to you should add an entry identical to mine

raid drives etc will complicate things fraid my knowledge on this is rather limited!

when reinstalling xp did it pick up the previous install ?

Associate
OP
you may be able to edit the boot.ini file to relist and access the old install

it will look like this

under the operating systems bracket add an additional line by copying and pasting

you will need to edit the (0)'s to suit your partition / drive setup
assuming you installed the xp you want to regain access to you should add an entry identical to mine

raid drives etc will complicate things fraid my knowledge on this is rather limited!

when reinstalling xp did it pick up the previous install ?

cheers, yeah it did pick it up(i tried to fixboot but that didn't work)

Associate
OP
that worked i've not got both in a boot menu but, if i choose the old one it says-
system32\hal.dll is missing(which it isn't as i've checked)
looks like i'll have to get all the docs i need off it and reformat :(

Associate
that worked i've not got both in a boot menu but, if i choose the old one it says-
system32\hal.dll is missing(which it isn't as i've checked)
looks like i'll have to get all the docs i need off it and reformat :(

the numbers in the brackets may be wrong then or possibly corruption if the numbers are correct using my example is the first partition on the first drive.

there is a built in recovery option in the xp install cd, use it as if you are doing a fresh install when it gets to the part where it detects previous versions there usually is the option of pressing r (if i remember correcty) to recover the old version.

there is also the recovery console from the xp install cd but i havent the experience to help you with it

Associate
THIS is the default Windows XP Pro Boot ini file.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom