20-pin to 24-pin PSU convertor

Soldato
Is there any issues with using these converters, I have a truepower 380W PSU that I want to use with a 24pin motherboard and X1800XT. Reckon i'll have power problems with the hungry X1800? I dont really wonna fork out on a new PSU.

Soldato
No issues whatsoever with these convertors i put one in my mates pc the other week & it works fine, the PSU is a bit on the low side but it may be alright depends on your rails e.t.c :)

Permabanned
lanz, with 1 gig of ram a moddest overclock and the X1800XT + all your drives and pci cards, youl only be using 310 to 330 watts at peak. so many people think there gonna max out there PSU`s lol, in reality most never even come close unless your using a generic PSU.

dont believe me? calculate it for yourself :)

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

ive got 2 gig of DDR, amd A3000+ venice at 2.5Ghz 2 opticle drives, 4 usb devices 1 X1800XT512 fan controller, 120mm light fans, and im only at 380 at peak.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i wasn't too worried about total wattage, but i was more worried about the converter, as i guess it has to split rails to power those 4 extra pins, so taking power from somewhere else.

Permabanned
Lanz said:
Yeah i wasn't too worried about total wattage, but i was more worried about the converter, as i guess it has to split rails to power those 4 extra pins, so taking power from somewhere else.

sorry i forgot to mention lol, im running on a 24 pin to 20 pin converter :) no problems at all :)

Man of Honour
Traducer said:
I think that PSU calculator is borked. :confused:

Why, what do you think is wrong with it? It seems fine to me, maybe a little on the low side compared to some I have seen but I'd say it is fairly accurate as there does seem to be a slight trend towards over-exaggeration of PSU requirements(although no real harm in that other than cost).

wmb

wmb

Associate
Just encountered the very same problem here.

Trying to run an ASUS a8n-SLI premium off an Antec True blue 480W PSU. Only just realised when I was putting the system together that the lead from the PSU had not enough connector pins :rolleyes:

I'll find out if a connector works when the one I've just ordered comes through the post. A lot cheaper than a new PSU!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom