1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 MacBook Pro upgrade advise please

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by basktm, Aug 31, 2019.

1. basktm

Associate

One for you computer tech guys.

I have a 2.9g i7 MacBook Pro mid 2012 and looking to upgrade. (Serial C1MKW5CGDTY4)

So the questions are

1. Which ram is best, looking at the 16g(2x8) of the hyperX 1600mhz (is this the fastest it will take ? )

2. Slightly more complicated this one, SSD, which one ? Is there really much difference, looking at these

Check out this Idea List on Amazon: macbook upgrade by Scotty http://amzn.eu/1uFP60L

Any better/worse ?

3. Single SSD and leave cd drive, duel SSD running parallel or duel SSD running raid 0
    (I understand the loss and it’s fine, I will use the 1t sata as a constant back-up)

If I go duel running raid, will 1tb work or will I need 2tb as I understand SSD’s need empty space.

All about speed for Adobe LR/PS and Premier Pro

Cheers

2. basktm

Associate

Any help please

3. Feek

Commissario

1) On a laptop this age, I don't think you'll really notice any difference between different types of memory.
    2) Same as above really, any SSD will give you a massive improvement in performance.
    3) I'd go with a single SSD because it's the easiest upgrade. Backup via Time Machine over your LAN and it'll just happen in the background without you needing to worry about it.

4. basktm

Associate

Perfect, thank you

5. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

What Feek said.

RAM speed won’t make a difference, but if it has less than 16GB, put 16GB in it.

HDD>SSD makes a night and day difference on any older MBP.

6. basktm

Associate

Thanks, good to know about ram speed, yes maxing it at 16g.

7. Besty

Mobster

The Crucial SSD's have known to play very nicely and thats what I used in my macbook.

8. basktm

Associate

Thanks

9. Colonel_Klinck

Wise Guy

I removed the DVDR from my old 2011 MBP and installed a Crucial SSD. Made night and day difference in performance.

10. basktm

Associate

I’m still thinking of this, going with the simple hard drive for ssd option first but want to replace that with another as well

11. manic111

Capodecina

I replaced the HDD with an SSD in my 2011 MBP and it's still going strong at 8 years old (think it's still rocking 4gb RAM as well and it's fast enough although a bump wouldn't go amiss!). Highly recommended upgrade.

12. Feek

Commissario

Please remember the rules against mentioning competitors to OcUK. If you're recommending parts then please point towards the OcUK store.