2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Permabanned
Thought I would open up a separate thread as the event one is getting a little crowded.

With the 15" model Apple has now given us a choice for the GPU. What are you thoughts on this?

I am going to get the 15" model and I am really tempted to just go for the Iris Pro model and not bother with the 750m. Reason being is that when I had last years model it really annoyed me when the 650m kicked in and the battery life suffered. I don't really game much on my rMBP and when I did the discrete graphics was not up to par for the retina display anyway, I doubt thats going to change with the 750m.

I really like the idea of having a super fast business machine with maximum battery life. Hopefully the Iris Pro model delivers that.

Caporegime
Waiting for a delivery date confirmation for a 13", 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD.

It'll be my first retina Macbook, currently using a 12' 13" Air which has served me very well indeed.

Associate
I'm looking at the base spec 15" with a 16GB upgrade. At first I was a bit disappointed by the lack of dGPU, but looking at benchmarks it seems that the Iris Pro is actually faster than the 650m at rendering stuff in OpenCL, which the main programs I use (Photoshop and Capture One) offer acceleration for. This means I'll get the same/better performance without the battery hit which is actually quite ideal.

However, the smaller size of the top end 13" is really tempting, although I'm not sure if the CPU/iGPU combo would be snappy enough.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I opted for the 15" with dGPU, I'm not expecting it be able to run demanding games at native retina resolutions but I don't want to risk not being able to run a game at decent settings on a the iris pro.

I also figured that I'll rarely be in a position where I don't have access to a plug so the reduced battery life doesn't really bother me.

I'm looking at the base spec 15" with a 16GB upgrade since my 15" rMBP got stolen earlier this month. At first I was a bit disappointed by the lack of dGPU, but looking at benchmarks it seems that the Iris Pro is actually faster than the 650m at rendering stuff in OpenCL, which the main programs I use (Photoshop and Capture One) offer acceleration for. This means I'll get the same/better performance without the battery hit which is actually quite ideal.

However, the smaller size of the top end 13" is really tempting, although I'm not sure if the CPU/iGPU combo would be snappy enough.

A 13" retina with dGPU would be perfect!

Associate
Waiting for a delivery date confirmation for a 13", 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD.

It'll be my first retina Macbook, currently using a 12' 13" Air which has served me very well indeed.

Oof, enjoy pal. ./e

Gonna get one of these bad-boys as my next work laptop.

Soldato
I'm in a bit of a corner now with the nMP being completely and utterly useless for me (and costing a complete bomb to boot).

I now either:

1. Build a PC for gaming - but then that could be a hackintosh - to replace Mac Pro.
2. Spec out a 15" retina.. (but then I need somewhere to put all my HDs!) - to replace current 2010 MacBook Pro.

But if I was to do something, the Iris Pro version is probably the one I'd have...

Soldato
I'm in a bit of a corner now with the nMP being completely and utterly useless for me (and costing a complete bomb to boot).

I now either:

1. Build a PC for gaming - but then that could be a hackintosh - to replace Mac Pro.
2. Spec out a 15" retina.. (but then I need somewhere to put all my HDs!) - to replace current 2010 MacBook Pro.

But if I was to do something, the Iris Pro version is probably the one I'd have...

build a gaming pc because as far as i know, Windows is still top dog for PC gaming.

im looking to buy the 13inch top spec one of these as i need something thats portable

Caporegime
Oof, enjoy pal. ./e

Gonna get one of these bad-boys as my next work laptop.

You know it pal, should be pretty tasty when you get your hands on it (tu)

Bit disappointed that there wasn't a resolution bump on the 13" to make it 1440x900 equivalent. Not sure I'd want to lose the extra screen space my 2011 13" MBA gives me :/

This is the only thing that concerns me.

Associate
I've been wanting to upgrade my mid 2010 15" MBP for some time now and these new rMBPs might just be what I've been waiting for. Specifically the 13" one due to the size, although I would have preferred a little more punch from the processor. I had been waiting for a retina MBA but I guess we won't see a refresh until next July.

I'll wait to see some reviews on the new MBPs but the new 15" reads like a beast spec wise.

Caporegime
Bit annoying only the top spec has a discrete GPU. My last MBP lasted 5 years. I can't see just the integrated graphics lasting that long.

The top end one costs too much as you are paying for larger SSD and Extra RAM. The cheaper 15 inch would be perfect with a RAM upgrade and dGPU.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom