*** 2014/15 Pre-season Friendly Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
HT: Man Utd 3-0 LA Galaxy.

Excellent performance so far. Comfortable in possession, passing well, attacking well, couldn't really ask for more.

Herrera looks absolutely outstanding, superb passing, movement, and brings the ball forward really well.

FT: Man Utd 7-0 LA Galaxy. :p

Brilliant performance all round. Ander Herrera's passing and general play was a completely different class. What a player.

I'm not sure how good LA Galaxy really are but they got absolutely hammered in every department. We switched the entire team (aside from Herrera) at half time and the younger lads (and Young) all looked very good. Shaw's replacement, Reece James, scored twice...

Great first game for LvG.

Last edited:
Soldato
BtSWwGuCUAIlpQT.jpg

Soldato
Based on that first help performance alone we have to be candidates for winning the domestic treble.

JOKE before anyone says anything.

Scoreline a big plus obviously. As Mark Ogden from The Telegraph says 7-0 against any team half way through their season is good by anyone's standards.

Key words I'm seeing in the press this morning

Confidence
Linking up well
Attacking
Players looked comfortable in possession
New system worked
Van Gaal can use another system

All completely devoid from the Davey Moyes experiment

fez

fez

Caporegime
If we can sign a couple more players I will be very optimistic about the up coming season. Herrera looked awesome and even Young looked like a footballer. Madness.

Its nice to see us playing with some style and fluency again. I know we can take very little from this game as LvG has only been here for a week or so but its quite amazing the turnaround from last seasons boring, predictable approach to games.

Soldato
La Galaxy are awful. I'm sure it was a solid performance but United were playing a very poor side, the way the media are lauding this up is hilarious.

It was bumped up on Sky news this morning hahaha.

Soldato
This BT Sport commentary is absolutely shocking. Christ. :(

It's annoying you have to have it full screen to get the max quality.

I just can't work out why these companies don't allow you to change the quality manually and have it automatically select. As for the commentary, I thought it was quite funny in one of the worst games I had seen for a while. Apparently Dean Saunders was a professional player and manager, just sounds like just another drunk guy down the pub to me.

fez

fez

Caporegime
La Galaxy are awful. I'm sure it was a solid performance but United were playing a very poor side, the way the media are lauding this up is hilarious.

It was bumped up on Sky news this morning hahaha.

They are not a great team but we have a new manager who has had almost no time with the team and we are playing a new formation against a side that is much fitter than we are. It was a good result. If we had won by a couple of goals I would have been happy.

Soldato
Tbf you're also playing a mid-week friendly against a team in the middle of a competitive season who have away games either side, they're hardly going to be busting a gut - for them it's like a Carling Cup game for which there is no trophy :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbf you're also playing a mid-week friendly against a team in the middle of a competitive season who have away games either side, they're hardly going to be busting a gut - for them it's like a Carling Cup game for which there is no trophy :p

They knew the world was going to be watching them so they are going to want to prove that they are a good team. That they can play against the best teams and that MLS is no joke. However it didn't quite work out that way.

Last edited:
Don
Only managed to watch the first half of our game last night. Had it not been for Saunders I might have forced myself to stay up for the 2nd half.

I really like the look of Can, he's a big unit and looks like he can play a bit too. Ibe again showed he's got the raw materials to become a very good player too, he just needs to improve his decision making and he could end up finding himself in the side a fair bit this season.

Soldato
Good win against LA Galaxy.....but then agian it is only LA Galaxy.

good to see everyone get some minutes even if their team did flatter us some.

Robbo - think Fletch also did 90 minutes (according to a few reports anyway), 2nd half as a centre-half :o

Man of Honour
Good all round performances from everyone last night. Filipe Luis and JT already gelling. Great to see the Chelsea ‘kids’ (16/17) getting playing time and doing so well. A brilliant finish from Jeremie Boga for the equaliser:

Not bad for a seventeen year old!

Man of Honour
OP
Good win against LA Galaxy.....but then agian it is only LA Galaxy.

good to see everyone get some minutes even if their team did flatter us some.

Robbo - think Fletch also did 90 minutes (according to a few reports anyway), 2nd half as a centre-half :o

We lost our first preseason game last year against a team I'd never even heard of. The next games will be a much better test though.

Fletcher was playing at centre back for the second half, did quite well throughout the entire game to be fair, but I don't think he can play week in week out, we need someone else there.

Try and watch detailed highlights if you can, Herrera was astonishingly good. Didn't waste a single pass and he kept setting up chance after chance. He made the rest of our team look average, and his first touch is one of the best I've ever seen. I'm not that surprised though, I've seen him do similar things against the best teams in Spain and in the Europa League.

LvG confirmed that he wants his main formation to be 3-4-3 (I think he called it that rather than 5-3-2). So I think we definitely need at least one defender, and of course one midfielder. We might get away with Fletcher there if he reaches his best ever form and stays fit but I doubt it. LvG also said we have problems with the balance of the squad and have "too many number 10s" etc.

Valencia was quite poor as usual too, Rafael was much better as you'd expect.

Soldato
We lost our first preseason game last year against a team I'd never even heard of. The next games will be a much better test though.

Fletcher was playing at centre back for the second half, did quite well throughout the entire game to be fair, but I don't think he can play week in week out, we need someone else there.

Try and watch detailed highlights if you can, Herrera was astonishingly good. Didn't waste a single pass and he kept setting up chance after chance. He made the rest of our team look average, and his first touch is one of the best I've ever seen. I'm not that surprised though, I've seen him do similar things against the best teams in Spain and in the Europa League.

LvG confirmed that he wants his main formation to be 3-4-3 (I think he called it that rather than 5-3-2). So I think we definitely need at least one defender, and of course one midfielder. We might get away with Fletcher there if he reaches his best ever form and stays fit but I doubt it. LvG also said we have problems with the balance of the squad and have "too many number 10s" etc.

Valencia was quite poor as usual too, Rafael was much better as you'd expect.

We need one top winger, Di Maria would thrive in that formation on either wing.

Nani had a great opporunity last night and didnt turn up.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, it's time for Nani to go. On last nights evidence I'd rather keep Young (but preferably neither :p).

The wide player does need to be able to defend and track back well though.

Back
Top Bottom