*** 2014/15 Pre-season Friendly Thread ***

Soldato
Was hoping BTSport would have some highlights but it doesnt appear so :(

One cente half at least imo if we are going three at the back, and definitely a hard tackling box to box ( agree I cant see Fletcher being that player) cm

Glad it was a good performance but beyond that Im not reading anything at all into the result because of the level of the opposition

Just cant see di maria deal happening - more chance of signing Ronaldo and that definitely isnt going to happen any time soon lol

edit - Just found a ~30 minute cut, Herrera looks really promising indeed, some of his passing was really sublime.

Lets see how Utd cope vs Roma and then Inter (even given pre-season should be a really big step up in quality)

Really dont expect anything from the RM game on the 2nd though - even their 2nd XI would probably be too much for majority of teams lol

Last edited:
Consigliere
Well when he ****s up, he'll be gone so it's best he 'proves himself' now rather when the season starts.

OR he could actually impress..never know! He seems to have a lot of confidence!

Man of Honour
OP
I suspect LvG just wants to give him the best chance to prove himself now as you say, I remember he did look a promising player at one time and he did have a few good games, but it's been downhill since then.

Most Arsenal fans were sick of Ramsey too, and he's massively turned it around, but I honestly can't see Cleverley doing the same...

Consigliere
Man of Honour
OP
Our team vs Roma:

Johnstone; Jones, Evans, Blackett; Valencia, Cleverley (c), Herrera, James, Welbeck; Mata, Rooney​

Interesting team... This has to be Cleverley's last chance, he has to impress. He hasn't for a long time (was rubbish against LA Galaxy in the second half too). I think if he has a poor game now then he'll be sold to Everton or whoever.

Man of Honour
OP
Roma team:

Skorupski, Romangnoli, Benatia, Emanuelson, Calabresi, Ucan, Paredes, Florenzi, Keita, Iturbe, Destro​

Benatia, no goals for us then. :p

Man of Honour
OP
Would you be against Cleverley as a squad option? So say you want Strootman/Vidal/Di Maria/whoever to be in the middle with Herrera/Carrick/Mata/etc... with a combination of those lot being the main midfielders, then Cleverley as a rotation/backup guy? Essentially so you don't have to rely on him much, and that lack of pressure may mean he can develop/fulfil the potential a number of coaches have seen in him.

I've no issue with Cleverley as a squad option, personally, I think if he's confident and is playing in a confident team he'd do quite well. I don't think he'll become a world beater but he could certainly become good.

I think everyone should get a chance under LvG. I'm just watching the press conference now (Cleverley is with him) and he's asking the press to direct questions to Cleverley so it seems he's trying to put a lot of faith in him - as evidenced by making him the captain. He keeps patting him on the back as well. :D

Cleverly captain ahead of Rooney? I know its a friendly but surely Rooney would be higher in the pecking order.

I'm sure he is, but LvG is likely just trying to make Cleverley the centre of tonight's game to see if he can actually perform with some confidence, or similar.

Soldato
The starting 11 looks strange imo even with giving Everyone a chance

3rd choice goalie, blackett and Welbeck on the same side of midfield
midfield ( even without thinking about AV as a flying fb on the other side)

Pretty weak team all around apart from Herrera, Mata and WR

Edit - sorry meant James in midfield not blackett

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom