• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2015 MacBook Pro 15" thermal throttling?

Associate
I have the 2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina with ForceTouch Trackpad and I realised that it thermal throttles to 2.8ghz when under full load. It says it should Turbo Boost to 3.4Ghz but I have never seen it happen.

Soldato
I have the 2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina with ForceTouch Trackpad and I realised that it thermal throttles to 2.8ghz when under full load. It says it should Turbo Boost to 3.4Ghz but I have never seen it happen.

Common issue since 2015. Check online, hundreds of thousands of articles and forums in relation to this issue.

Soldato
My late-2013 2.3 has been throttling in the recent weather. Single-core turbo should be 3.5GHz, dropping back to 3.3GHz on all cores. I'll get a quick burst at 3.3GHz then it throttles back to around 3.0-3.1Ghz once the fans have worked out I'm serious about processing something.

There's no guarantee on Turbo speeds, just the base clock...

Soldato
FYI I had the same issue.
I replaced TIM with thermal grizzly paste and I undervolt the cpu using the voltageshift app (on github).

Temps still peak to 97c but clocks and not throttling anymore to 2.8ghz and Turbo's between 3.5 and 3.3 ghz. Mostly 3.5ghz.

These are my settings I entered into terminal.

These are my settings, but you need to test whats stable with your system first.

sudo ./voltageshift buildlaunchd -100 -100 -100 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom