2019/20 Pre Season Thread

Associate
With Barca up next, pre-season will be winding down for a lot of the youngsters. What have you guys made of the talent so far? Putting them in some sort of order:

Joe Willock: should be a first-team squad member, and will be. Power and drive from midfield, an eye for a goal, perhaps the closest to 'a Ramsey' we have in the ranks. I like him a lot, he's a player.

Eddie Nketiah: solid pre-season, shades of Ian Wright in his instinct, touch and finishing. Where he lacks is in the hold-up phase and lack of physical impact. I think he could do worse than take a leaf from Lacazette's book and learn how he can impact a game with his workrate. At the moment he's a bit of a 'Defoe' style of player, but that won't be enough at Arsenal. If he gets Europa minutes, he needs to take his chance.

Gabriel Martinelli: I wouldn't wax quite as lyrical about him as the commentator during the Angers match, but he does look an interesting player. Need to see more to decide how he will fit into the club, but I could see Emery favouring his minutes as he did with Guendouzi last season (not to the same extent/level).

Reiss Nelson: hit and miss. One minute he's raiding down the wing, taking players on and putting in delicious crosses for fun, then he goes quiet for a length of time. His impact hasn't yet quite matched his reputation.

Robbie Burton: looked tidy, nothing fancy, keeps play moving.

Zech Medley: I don't see an Arsenal-level player here. Looks ponderous, distribution from the back is very poor, gets caught out of position. He has size as an asset, but doesn't seem to impose himself. Looks to me like the sort of player who will make a solid living out of the game in the lower reaches, League 1 or League 2. A bit of a Craig Eastmond career.

Dominic Thompson - didn't see enough to judge.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure any will be good enough to make it to first team status to be honest although its really hard to judge when the whole team is so disjointed. I hadn't been impressed with any of them last season when they did get minutes. Willock is closest though as you state.

Man of Honour
Anyone watching the Barca Arsenal game? They've got the most bizarre commentary I've ever heard in a football game, that and there's no sound from the stadium so it's just a long monologue.

Man of Honour
I'd say it's the worst defending I've ever seen from Arsenal in a preseason game. At least half a dozen times caught in possession or misplaced pass in and around our own box.
Keen to see more from Martinelli.

Still not really any the wiser as to how Arsenal are going to line up aside from the forward line (presumably Laca up top with Auba, Ozil and Pepe behind him, perhaps a bit more defensive for the tougher games).
You look further back and there are loads of question marks:
-Time's up for Kos?
-Trying to sell Mustafi so presumably out of favour
-Trying to buy Tierney so presumably not completely sold on our existing LBs
-Chambers bit of a liability tonight
-Bellerin injured and AMN not convincing tonight

Then in midfield Torreira should be starting every game but Emery doesn't seem to view it like that, you then have the question of who partners him, with Ramsey gone I assume it falls to Xhaka which isn't ideal, unless Ceballos can do it.

Caporegime
I see Mustafi and Xhaka were being their useless selfs again tonight lol.

Just give them away for free, honestly with them 2 in defence it’s going to be a long season coming.

At no point should the pair of them be anywhere close to the first team.

Soldato
Chambers hasn't been too bad in the pre-season games I've seen. Biggest issue is his lack of pace but I'd stick him in in front of Mustafi anyway. His only real cockup came from Xhaka playing him into trouble on the edge of the 6 yard box. Holding and Sokratis should be primary though but we play 3 at the back a lot.

Back
Top Bottom