2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
so I got like 6 plants still in the greenhouse, if I cut them back and brought them inside is there a good chance they will re-grow next year? meh just think it is too much hassle imo vs buying new plants next year

This was my first year of growing chillies anyway, but i've opted for over-wintering because of the headstart they get.

I think i planted early March last year, and they weren't flowering until at least June i would say (i might have mentioned earlier in this thread actually).

It takes the plant a lot of time and effort to form an established root ball and a solid stem. Hopefully next year i'll be several months early.

I think someone on here (might have been @Pigeon_Killer) had a good early start and was already harvesting some chillies at the start of summer.

Caporegime
Daytrader was posting pepper pics way earlier than me, I only started picking in August.

I've never overwintered mine and I planted them later this year than last but I use a grow tent and light, potted them on faster and had them out in the greenhouse earlier.

Haven't used my greenhouse burner this year so my peppers have slowed to a crawl now. Was picking blood red peppers up to the end of November last year but I've got a load of semi ripe and mouldy peppers left now :o

Caporegime
Another mini harvest today. Picked everything that was completely ripe, left the rest and pruned the plants. 5 x Chocolate Douglahs, 5 x Scorpions (from 4 plants), 14 x Ghosts, 20 x Chocolate Reapers, 13 x Reapers, 29 Borgs (from 1 plant) and 3 x unknowns.

Also, my first Rasta super hot :cool:

Temperature's still around 12-15c during the day so will pick the rest in a week or two and try and ripen them indoors.

Caporegime
The temperature's now dropped to the point it isn't hitting 10c in the greenhouse during the day anymore so last harvest of the season. Picked everything that was ripe or ripening, binned any that were completely green and any that had started to go soft which was around 30% of everything I picked :(

36 x Reaper, 36 x Chocolate Reaper, 26 x Chocolate Douglah, 91 x Ghost and 4 x Borg 9. Something killed one of my Borgs last month and all of the fruit went mouldy so lost around 50 peppers.

116 x Moruga Scorpion.

I bought a few tomatoes this week so I'm going to chuck everything that isn't ripe in with them for a week or two before freezing them.

Season Total
Borg 9 - 376 (3.5 Plants)
Chocolate Douglah - 143 (2 Plants)
Ghost - 219 (2 Plants)
Moruga Scorpion - 247 (4 Plants)
Reapers - 217 (2 Plants)
Total = 1202 Super Hots :cool:

Soldato
I've got one last chilli plant that i stuck in the shed, i need to pick those off by the weekend if they're still any good and then overwinter the plant.

Associate
Hi fellow chilli-heads,

New member and thought i would jump on and find some forums with like minded chilli lovers. Been looking at some of your harvests this year and they look great.
I am just about to start planning ahead for my growing season next year as need to carefully plan out my germination for all my chilli plants.
Would be interested to know your start dates for your Super Hots (without using grow lights), Hots and milder chillies.

Associate
Hi all just joined to try and get some help in starting to grow some chilli with my hubby so im just wondering if this would be a good time to start some seeds and does anyone have some super hot seeds theycan spare e.g carolina reaper butch t as hubby would like a go at them although he has never had one. I am not looking to take advantage of your good nature and we are more than will to pay for the seeds but have been put off after looking on ebay, came across this site by accident so have joined in the hope that we can get started will a bit of help. Thanks for reading and hope you all have a good 2021.

Soldato
Bit of a beginner myself, only 3rd year growing.

But in my opinion it's way too late to start seeds now I'm afraid, especially super hots

I started in around end of Jan

Associate
Damn, thanks guys still in the market for the seeds though cos we go to Tenerife for the winter so could start them here and take a couple of the smaller plants (due to starting them in maybe September) and growing them on over the next months over there and the same on return could get a head start with left over seeds starting 1st Jan and having some warm weather and sun before we return in early March. Although this year will be shorter due to brexit rules, So if you have any of them Reapers or Butch T they would be much appreciated coming from a reliable source on here. Thanks again guys

Soldato
Damn, thanks guys still in the market for the seeds though cos we go to Tenerife for the winter so could start them here and take a couple of the smaller plants (due to starting them in maybe September) and growing them on over the next months over there and the same on return could get a head start with left over seeds starting 1st Jan and having some warm weather and sun before we return in early March. Although this year will be shorter due to brexit rules, So if you have any of them Reapers or Butch T they would be much appreciated coming from a reliable source on here. Thanks again guys
If you really want seeds, i can 100% recommend these for seeds https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/

Soldato
I've never really had any luck growing a full grown plant yet, this year has been even worse most died due to the cold and the ones I have left have not grown much for some reason.

How big should the plans be at this point ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom