2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
getting colder now

still got lots of chillies yet to ripe from green to red

bring the pot inside? what about all of the flies and insects in the plant!?:)

Caporegime
Most of my peppers seem to have responded to the colder weather by starting to ripen.

Picked another load of peppers today and although I have twice as many Habanero plants as Ghosts I seem to be getting way more peppers from the Ghost plants.

Not sure I'll bother with the Habs next year if I grow peppers again. You can get Scotch Bonnets from Tesco and there isn't a great deal of difference so I might just grow a variety of super hots instead.

Soldato
goHjP86.jpg.png

I don't think my birdseye demon plant knows what time of year it is...

This is the pot that I mixed some of my home made compost in with and the pot that I just used store bought compost only has a couple of flowers on.

Soldato
Another batch picked today, and ready for the oven to dry.
20191010-165021.jpg

Caporegime
Made a tealight heater on Monday to try and increase the temperature in my greenhouse but it wasn't very successful.

Only increased the temperature by 1 degree so I bought a paraffin heater and that's increased the temp by 5 degrees.

It was 17 degrees this morning and is now 20 compared to 12 in the morning and 15 during the day on Thursday and Friday.

Soldato
Nice job, i got to many holes/gaps around my plastic polly tunnel to get much benefit from a heater, at night has gone down to 8c, 16c at the moment, will still keep the chillis going into November thou, there still ripening ok, but very slowly, but either way, all my hots will be dried even if green.

Caporegime
A lot of the negative feedback on Amazon seems to relate to people having the wick too long so the heater produces smoke (easy to sort, lower the wick :o) or poor fitting chimneys. There's a soft metal brace the chimneys slot in to and you can just bend that back a little to fit them in place.

Back
Top Bottom