2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
First time chilli grower. Heat mat since sowing seeds and el' cheapo LED grow light 12 hours a day now they've popped up.

Planted on 10th Feb.

16 of 24 showing through so far by about an inch or more. Hoping that the others come through soon too.

Got reapers, jalapeño, aji limon, ring of fire and scotch bonnet

Soldato
My overwintered Paper Lantern Habanero and Inferno plants look to have survived and I have a load of Apache seeds from a couple of seasons ago that I want to sew in the coming week. I'll also be picking up a couple of other plants locally - probably a couple of superhots and a couple of milder varieties for Thai curries.

I've just turned a lot of the chillies I had in the freezer from previous seasons into hot sauce. I needed to free up some space for this year's crop. Trinidad Scorpions, Scotch Bonnetts, Paper Lanterns, Apaches, Purple Gustos and God knows what else. They all went in along with garlic, onion, bananas, a pear, OJ, coconut powder, garam masala and lemon juice. It's currently cooling in the sauce pan but I did lick the spoon and yup, that'll do nicely. :D

Soldato
My overwintered Paper Lantern Habanero and Inferno plants look to have survived and I have a load of Apache seeds from a couple of seasons ago that I want to sew in the coming week. I'll also be picking up a couple of other plants locally - probably a couple of superhots and a couple of milder varieties for Thai curries.

I've just turned a lot of the chillies I had in the freezer from previous seasons into hot sauce. I needed to free up some space for this year's crop. Trinidad Scorpions, Scotch Bonnetts, Paper Lanterns, Apaches, Purple Gustos and God knows what else. They all went in along with garlic, onion, bananas, a pear, OJ, coconut powder, garam masala and lemon juice. It's currently cooling in the sauce pan but I did lick the spoon and yup, that'll do nicely. :D
Would have never have thought to put fruit in a chilli sauce! :D I might make some sauce this year, first time chilli growing from seed and might end up with a lot! :D

Soldato
Would have never have thought to put fruit in a chilli sauce! :D I might make some sauce this year, first time chilli growing from seed and might end up with a lot! :D

I loves me fruit chilli sauces. :D

Sounds like you'll have quite a harvest. Sauces/pickles is definitely the way to go.

Associate
Just going to do padrons and jalapeno this year. still got bag full of each ring of fire and aji limon in the freezer from a late harvest last year. Gf brought a big packet of padron seeds home from portugal yesterday to sow this weekend :D

Soldato
Nice. I haven't heard of Aji Limon (lemon?), I'll have to look it up.

Aji limons are quite easy to grow and from my experience can produce a large crop. They are a decent little all purpose chilli for me, enough heat to let you know they are there but not overpowering and they have a slightly citrus taste so work well with chicken and fish imo.

Soldato
Got mine from South Devon Chilli Farm .. Yours same?

I'm struggling with germination this year as well, with my seeds also from South Devon CF. I got two or three Ring of Fires from the first batch I did in the middle of January but others didn't germinate. The seeds are three years old (IIRC), so I got ordered some more Ring of Fires plus some Bulgarian Carrots to try for the first time. They've been in the propagator for a week now but nothing yet... I think I've got some peppers in from another source - will have to check later.

I use seed compost (purchased in January), wet the compost in the pots and let them drain out a bit before putting the seeds in. Cover lightly and move them to the propagator. An assortment of tomatoes are doing really well but not great on the chillies so far.

Soldato
Have 5 lots of the paper towel trick on the go with some Carolina Reaper seeds in, fingers crossed. Will transfer to propagator in coir plugs soon as they start.

Have Basket of Fire, Aji Verde and something else to go in the propagator tonight.

Soldato
gR5dzgS.jpg

As they currently stand.

Sowed two in each plug and i'll probably ***** them out this weekend assuming I can find the perlite/vermiculite from the last season i planted. One of the super chilli is a bit on the small side - and you can see that the Ring of Fire never happened. May re-plant this weekend with new seeds.

Got mine from South Devon Chilli Farm .. Yours same?

I have seeds from both South Devon and World of Chillies - both reasonably old - but most others have taken except one of the thai hots.

Soldato
For those struggling with germination - for a typical year, each seed seed that has been stored has its chances of germination reduced by around 50%ish for each year - this % can be reduced with cold storage

Soldato
Hmm thanks guys

I got mine from South Devon Chilli Farm this year but I'm not sure how long they had them sitting around for.....

The rest all seem fine, it is just the ring of fire that were a bit hit and miss

Soldato
Annoyingly, I was away yesterday and left mine in the porch with the heat mat on and the sun blasting on them. The two Reaper seedlings I had coming up have wilted and died due to the heat. I've still got a load of Basket of Fire seedlings but no sign of any Habaneros coming up yet. Hopefully some more Reaper seeds will germinate. :(

Associate
OP
Finally got round to putting my seeds in :
9 Padron - can never have to many of these :D
3 Apache
3 Hungarian hotwax

Looks like I have 2 aji limon and a scotch bonnet survived overwintering

Soldato
I'm struggling with germination this year as well, with my seeds also from South Devon CF. I got two or three Ring of Fires from the first batch I did in the middle of January but others didn't germinate. The seeds are three years old (IIRC), so I got ordered some more Ring of Fires plus some Bulgarian Carrots to try for the first time. They've been in the propagator for a week now but nothing yet... I think I've got some peppers in from another source - will have to check later.

I use seed compost (purchased in January), wet the compost in the pots and let them drain out a bit before putting the seeds in. Cover lightly and move them to the propagator. An assortment of tomatoes are doing really well but not great on the chillies so far.

Three Ring of Fires popped up whilst away at the weekend, so the new seeds are already doing better.

Back
Top Bottom