2019 NFL Season Thread

Soldato
steelers got a bit of a battering :eek:

Typical Steelers performance. They had zero game plan and looked like they hadn't played the game before. Also some of the calls from the sidelines were stupid. A 4th and 1 on the NE 1yd line and they kick a field goal even, though they were down by 20 :rolleyes: A 4th and inches and they elect to punt. What is wrong with a QB sneak or at least trying to draw them offside ? Useless coaching as usual from Tomlin and co. I expect more of the same going forward.

Soldato
Wow, just watched the Texans at Saints... crazy finish!!! Great game.
BIG NUTZ LUTZ.

Good to start with a win, was a close one though!

We looked good on D, 6 sacks on Watson and a couple of big plays to stop big yards and points. When you put up 30 points and neither Kamara, Thomas or Cook get a TD you can only be excited for the next game when I hope those guys can come in and put up points. The game v Rams last year was crazy so should be a good one again.

Soldato
OP
Only watched the highlights as I couldn't bear staying up that late but Texans looked good, was impressed. Raiders winning as well was nice to see, the crowd chants were class.

First year I've ever done NFL fantasy after being a fan for 20 odd years, put myself in 5 leagues and won my week one game in all 5 :D took D.Jackson and Eckler on almost all drafts late as they were slipping right down and they were beasts for me. Next week looking promising in 2, ok in 2 but one I can't see a win. Trying to get a few waivers though after week 1.

Soldato
Anyone still question if Dak is deserving of a big contract?

after just 1 game against that giants defence ?, yes of course :D.

thing is he's playing for a contract, needs to continue to do it after he has the contract.

quick look at their schedule, and barring injuries i only see 2 games that should be tough, playing the saints and the pats.

Wow, just watched the Texans at Saints... crazy finish!!! Great game.

the officials really do have something against the saints, just read that they got robbed of 15 seconds at the end of the 1st half :D

no idea what's happened to the raiders oline, no sacks on Carr :eek:

as for the texans, same old story with the sacks, they carry on like that and i don't think watson will last the season.

Soldato
OP
They gave up a lot to get Tunsil but it's more than just an LT that's bad about their line so if De gets hurt long term and they tank the season it will go down as one of the worst trades in a long time.

Soldato
They gave up a lot to get Tunsil but it's more than just an LT that's bad about their line so if De gets hurt long term and they tank the season it will go down as one of the worst trades in a long time.

after last season, and with lucks retirement i think it has them scrambling about, if they don't improve the oline they will at the least lose watson from injuries for a few games or maybe a season, and its not just with the colts they can look at the the eagles last season and jags this season......

Associate
after just 1 game against that giants defence ?, yes of course :D.

thing is he's playing for a contract, needs to continue to do it after he has the contract.

quick look at their schedule, and barring injuries i only see 2 games that should be tough, playing the saints and the pats.

I pretty much agree with that. My point was more to those who didn't think Dak was worth it. He has always been worth it, and he put the cherry on top Sunday. :D

As for tough games, you can never sleep on division games. Wash. isn't going to be a cake walk and it's entirely possible we lose.

Soldato
OP
after last season, and with lucks retirement i think it has them scrambling about, if they don't improve the oline they will at the least lose watson from injuries for a few games or maybe a season, and its not just with the colts they can look at the the eagles last season and jags this season......

I just dont see what else they can do now apart from improve what they have, their LG (name escapes me) is utter, utter dross, their centre and RT are bums, I guess Fulton is an OK RG. Their problem is they gave away Clowney for peanuts and journeymen and then their next 2 years worth of first round picks (despite having an ageing squad) so they have no real value in the squad to tempt trades to fill the gaps. I appreciate what they needed a LT to help De but it's like losing a leg and trying to put a sticky plaster on the stump, ain't going to make much difference. What left? Hoping their coaches can get a tune out of a really poor line, LT excepted.

Unless they score hugely lucky on the draft in second/third rounds with some Oline picks or go big in FA (they may have some flex not having to pay Clowney now) I don't see the fix for them, they may make it through to the playoffs but no more than first round at the expense of probable long term obscurity.

All of the above isn't even taking into account Watt is steadily fading year on year and their pass rush outside Watt/Clowney has been abysmal.....

I don't wish long term pain on an organisation but they've trusted O'Brien faaaaar too much who only cares about win now and I can't see a half decent GM getting involved in the organisation when a first round pick is three years distant. Despite losing Luck it could still be the Colts division in the long term as we all know Mariotta won't keep up that week 1 standard of play long term.

Soldato
I pretty much agree with that. My point was more to those who didn't think Dak was worth it. He has always been worth it, and he put the cherry on top Sunday. :D

As for tough games, you can never sleep on division games. Wash. isn't going to be a cake walk and it's entirely possible we lose.

he had a good game, no arguement from me, but as i said he's playing for a contract and its one game.

div games can be "iffy" but its up to him to resolve that, i'm not just picking on him i don't rate many of the qb's in the league, just look at the contract we gave goff.......

I just dont see what else they can do now apart from improve what they have

which i can't see happening , specially when you know your oline is as poor as it is, and i agree about the lt it's important but not worth what they gave up for him, considering the issues they have.

are you aware of anything o'brien has done to even get a chance at what they gave him, because i haven't, as for a gm i think someone could take up the chance, they need to look at the free market when possible as well, can't see them not being able to improve things

Associate
he had a good game, no arguement from me, but as i said he's playing for a contract and its one game.

div games can be "iffy" but its up to him to resolve that, i'm not just picking on him i don't rate many of the qb's in the league, just look at the contract we gave goff.......

Again fair enough.

But, it's not just one game. It's a history of winning. 2 Div. championships in 3 years. A record of 33 - 16 in his first 3 years, plus his ability to finish.

He's not 'elite', but he is very, very, good!

That's the thing, Goff and Dak, plus many others have earned their contract!

We'll talk at the end of the season. :D

Soldato
But, it's not just one game. It's a history of winning. 2 Div. championships in 3 years. A record of 33 - 16 in his first 3 years, plus his ability to finish.

I only saw a few highlights, so hard to comment (aside I'm sure most of his TD passes there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of the receiver!) but funnily enough, before I even read this I was going to post I try and judge a QB on his play, not the results and I'm sure many would disagree. That's why I would say Montana was over rated (he had an amazing surrounding cast and Young possibly replaced him and did even better, for example). Again, I didn't see much of Sunday, so I'm not commenting on that. And also, I'm not saying Dak is bad, just that he has a great supporting cast so might appear better and will definitely get good results with the team.

Having said that, I didn't rate Jackson. His mechanics are terrible... then he tears it up on Sunday (mind you, it was the Dolphins!)

Soldato
OP
which i can't see happening , specially when you know your oline is as poor as it is, and i agree about the lt it's important but not worth what they gave up for him, considering the issues they have.

are you aware of anything o'brien has done to even get a chance at what they gave him, because i haven't, as for a gm i think someone could take up the chance, they need to look at the free market when possible as well, can't see them not being able to improve things

Oh I agree they can't improve what they have, that's my point, they've played themselves into an, almost, hopeless position. To contradict myself, they could improve as some lines have one or two good players who carry them but that takes time and they don't have that at the moment.

Not sure what you mean about O'Brien but they backed him over the last GM in a power struggle so they clearly believe in his vision (no Clowney, must have a LT) and we can all see it's highly risky.

Heck they may prove us wrong but on balance of probabilities I would say they are screwed :p

Soldato
OP
Mariotta is a trap QB, in my opinion, like Dalton for the Bengals who will always do just about good enough to get a contract and keep your team just competitive enough that they never tank and in turn never get in a position to get a good replacement.

I would pay Mariotta mid range money but you can guarantee he will be after somrhwere near top dollar which he isn't worth.

Back
Top Bottom