2019 Passat Estate

Soldato
Hi all,

So it’s company car time.

I currently drive a 2016 Passat GT estate in 2.0 diesel form.

It’s great and has loads of toys, looks smart (18” alloys help). Radar cruise, climate etc.

The new model Passat has more toys, a much bigger touch screen, digital cockpit etc.

I happen to think that in Atlantic Blue and R-Line trim, the new model looks very handsome. Take a look for yourself.

My company has basically said it’s poverty spec BMW or Audi or, a rather lovely spec Passat.

Now, I appreciate there are going to be lots of people on here who will bash the Passat primarily because it’s not an Audi or BMW, but, pretty much all reviews have given it a resounding thumbs up and, my own personal experience of having driven one for the past two years has been nothing short of great.

I am sick to death of seeing black, white or grey 5 series or A4 diesels everywhere you go.

However, the Diesel engines in the Passat can just sod off. I hate them. Clattery, unrefined and just horrid.

So I’m at a petrol cross roads. However, it seems VW UK are offering just the 1.5turbo petrol in 150bhp form in the new Passat - this seems woefully inadequate to me?

Does anyone know if this is correct and perhaps why it may be the case?

Also, would you go poverty spec bmw or Audi or high spec Passat?

Thanks

Soldato
Soldato
I'd go for the passat over a 3 series or A4 considering pov spec. I haven't found VAG recent 2.0tdi too bad though??
My mum has the 1.4 turbo closely related to the 1.5 and its a v good engine. Does alright in a tiguan but hardly sets the world alight as you'd expect

Soldato
OP
I've not looked into the specs of the current A4 much, how "poverty" is the base spec these days? Also are the engine choices better with the BMW or Audi?

I think the petrol choices are stronger with Audi and bmw but that for the same spec, the price is much much higher.

Reference the diesels - they are just noisy and very unsatisfying at lower revs - however they are punchy

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Wouldnt the hybrid be a better option?

Im not a big fan of the current Passat, they seem a bit cheap inside, nowhere near the quality that they used to be, they are just so bland inside and out. I'd honestly rather have a Mazda 6,V60 or Skoda superb (sportline).

The next gen however does look nice, more of the arteon look about it. I havent seen the inside of one, but i hope its better than the old one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wouldnt the hybrid be a better option?

Im not a big fan of the current Passat, they seem a bit cheap inside, nowhere near the quality that they used to be, they are just so bland inside and out. I'd honestly rather have a Mazda 6,V60 or Skoda superb (sportline).

The next gen however does look nice, more of the arteon look about it. I havent seen the inside of one, but i hope its better than the old one.

But all said and told, the Passat is the kind of car you have, because you have to, not because you want to. The GT isnt all that special, so the difference between a boggo 3 series or A4 isnt all that much.

I have extensive experience of a five series, several new Audi’s and my own Passat.

I agree - some of the plastics in the Passat are nasty lower down (door bins are a real culprit) but honestly the rest of the car is very well made indeed and a pretty nice place to sit. If you look at the updated interiors, it’s a good place.

Obviously the Audi is the best of course - my dads 530D is blumin lovely and the Diesel engine is a whole other level of refinement compared to the Passat oil burner

Man of Honour
New 3 Series has just been launched. Is a considerably better and more modern car than the Passat and is not 'poverty spec'.

Soldato
OP
New 3 Series has just been launched. Is a considerably better and more modern car than the Passat and is not 'poverty spec'.

Could you give me a bit more info on that front? The term poverty spec was used as a basis of comparison - not as a direct insult toward the brand I.e. it’s fair to say a Passat will come with more kit than the equivalent priced bmw

Man of Honour
Can't speak for the new Passat as my parents have moved away from them to the Touran line but if it is anything like the transition from older Tourans (which were much of a muchness with their contemporary Passats) to the new model Tourans then the engine refinement, ride and general comfort, and driving aids, etc. are in another level compared to the older ones.

EDIT: Though I believe that Touran has more in common with the Golf than Passat.

Soldato
OP
Well its seems that if VW are not releasing their full line up of petrol engines for a while then I should perhaps be holding off ordering one for now - I would want avoid anything less than 175bhp really

Soldato
Haha! I just toyed around with the BMW configuration tool and ended up at 44k...........
Looks like you need to decide if performance is your priority (BMW) or having lots of tech gadgets (VW).

Personally, I would forgo some kit and get the BMW/Audi

Soldato
Soldato

It is still pretty pov spec versus a loaded passat. Missing adaptive cruise, digital cockpit, lane assistant, big sat nav screen etc. Still don't even get lumbar support as standard

Back
Top Bottom