2021 New Year Upgrade/Possible New Build!

Associate
Hi guys, I'm itching to bring my pc up to date and either upgrade it or start afresh so I'd love some advice please!

My current pc is an Overclockers Titan Scythe machine from 7 years ago, only changes I've made have been to upgrade the gpu first to a gtx1070 and now to a gtx1080ti which to be honest still feels very strong to me.

I'm gaming mostly stuff like World of Warcraft, with stuff like Battlefront, Battlefield, CoD, Witcher etc. as other games. I also use my pc for image editing work in Photoshop and occasional video editing. I'm using a stunning 34 inch 3440x1440 Alienware ips monitor at 120hz as the display.

A friend helped me build my first ever pc, but that was when we were kids, so I've zero experience really of putting a machine together myself, but I'm interested to maybe give it a try but also a bit scared.. I'm intrigued by the overall price point of a self-build, and I'm thinking the following...

Not fussed by Intel vs AMD, would like the highest clockspeed as I know WoW in particular benefits from that. Intel processors seem to be overclockable compared to Amd, so I'm curious what would suit me best personally? I'd like a new processor to have minimum 8 cores I think for future proofing, 10-12 I think would be ideal. I like the look of the 5800x-5900x with amd, or the 10900k I guess for Intel.

Ram I'd like to have 32gb I think to give a bit more scope for the editing side of things and minor gaming help.

GPU I'm thinking to actually stick with my 1080ti for the time being, so that could go in a new build, my dad is actually willing to buy my old machine off me if I go for a new pc. I would likely upgrade this to something like an rtx3080ti at a later date when they come out.

For hard drive I'd like a 2tb drive as main, and either a 1tb or 2tb secondary ssd as storage.

I'd like all my games to run from the ssd, so I'm thinking use the secondary mostly for photo and video storage.

PSU I'd like to be around 800w for any future big gpu upgrade.

Cooling I'd like the case to have good airflow and have excellent cooling, with watercooling preferably for the cpu. My current machine is fairly audible at the moment so something that runs quieter would be nice. It can be a full tower if that helps, I honestly don't mind.

For the case I have Corsair ICU mouse and keyboard, so I quite like the look of the Obsidian 500d SE RGB case, although my desk orientation means the see-through panel would be on the wrong side as the machine sits to the left of my pc at the moment, I wonder if somehow that can be swapped around?

Price point is around the £2000 mark. Can be flexible, and as I say hoping to slot one of the new rtx cards in later in the year potentially.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh and, would there be any advantage to going for a pre-built bundle and installing that into a case?

Jules

Oh, this is my current machine by the way:

"Titan Scythe" Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz Overclocked Nvidia GeForce SLI Quad Core Gaming PC 1 £330.86
No Graphics Card Upgrade 1 £0.00
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti WindForce 3x OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GV-N78TOC-3GD) 1 £424.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD 1 £49.99
Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW) 1 £124.99
TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLD316G2133HC11ADC01) 1 £108.29
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - OEM 1 £208.29
NZXT Phantom Enthusiast USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black 1 £87.49
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) 1 £62.49
24 MONTH WARRANTY - COLLECT & RETURN 1 £0.01
Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days

*Oh, just realised I upgraded the processor, it's actually the i7 4770k. It's overclocked to 4.3ghz

Last edited:
Thanks Micky, think I'd like 2x corsair 2tb mp600 drives in there to be honest, or at least 1 as the main drive, they look pretty amazing, would appreciatethoughts!. Good budget though, thank you!

Right I've been doing a little more research, I'm thinking as I'll be waiting a while to swap out the 1080ti I may aswell plough more money into the current build!.. Any input would be great, I was hoping to include the 5900x, but I suppose the 5800x will be more than enough for a good long while regardless? I've heard good things about the Kraken cooler, but I wonder if it's worth it for the 360mm size? and if thermal compound is still needed to be purchased or would it be included?. I'd love the inside of the case to be illuminated blue, but due to my desk setup the window would actually be on the wrong side.. is it possible to swap the window side around in these cases does anyone know?

This would be my first build so I'm a little daunted! any further recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,995.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Back
Top Bottom