2023 Personal Review and 2024 Goals

Soldato
Figured a single thread for all sports was better than the specific running/cycling/weight lifting threads. Especially as some aren't that busy, and others are really busy and it's hard to track and review at the end of the year.

2023 Goals as per Strava

Running 573km/1500 - 617km behind goal
Cycling 1,630km/1207 km - 430km ahead of goal

My 2023 was flipped by my foot injury hindering my goals to build on a really good 2022 year in terms of running. I think my initial running goal was actually higher and the cycling goal lower, but i adjusted in around April to something more achievable. Overall i'm fairly dissapointed but i've had a resurgence the last 2 months and hoping to continue with this motivation.

2024 Goals

Weight

Get down to 90kg. I spent most of the last few years around 95kg, but then the foot injury caused me to increase to around 97/98kg as i didn't have the excercise to offset a bad diet. This has compounded with the move to Spain and an increase in food/alcohol. As of today i was 103.5kg having put a few kg on over Christmas

This is a key one, crossing over the 100kg mark in December was a big dissappointment, and it's starting to be noticed in running/cycling

General Fitness
Record at least 5hrs a week of activity. When i stopped running i didn't do enough cycling to offset the lower volume. I'm aiming to find a good balance and mix activities up to stay active through any injuries etc.
VO2 Max of 49. This is the highest i've ever had my Garmin watch show. It's currently down at 45 and so recovering to a previous high is a big focus

Cycling
3000km for the year. I'm hoping this should be easy given the decent dry weather here, but being sensible as it's double my 2023 goal
Complete a 100mile ride

Running
1000km for the year. My foot is currently feeling "ok" and so i want to try and have consistency even if it's just regular short runs
Marathon distance event. This is really pie in the sky, but i'm hoping that with lowering my weight and reducing impact forces through my foot, combined with a decent strength/prehab program and other mitigating work i might be able to get back to longer distances. If i can't i'm not gonna kick myself.

Strength
As above, i'm hoping to get consistency with strength work. I've got my home gym setup and have spent December doing the Knees Over Toes basic plan to try and bulletproof my body and mitigate injuries

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Weight down to less than 90kgs
Marathon in under 4 hours
Complete emergency fund
Book Ironman for 2025

What’s this emergency fund?

Ironman is looking an option for me. I was always more runner than cyclist but if I can find a balance I think I could tick one off.

I love a mass endurance event and ultra running might never happen for me again.

Soldato
OP
It's just having enough set aside so sudden bills or lack of income don't become crippling.
As a benchmark you should have between 3 and 12 months of your required outgoing set aside.

I really like the look of the ironborne event down in Eastbourne.

I loved the marathon but other than a sprint years ago have not done any Tri's

Ah of course. Had thought it was something relating to exercise!

Soldato
OP
So, we're a quarter of the way through. My goals have changed quite a bit, mainly from making the decision to sack off any running goals. My foot just isn't there and i figure i'll try and throw myself into cycling.

Weight
Get down to 90kg. - Currently higher than i was at the time of writing the opening post at 104.3kg :(

General Fitness
Record at least 5hrs a week of activity. - Not quite there. A few good weeks, but a ropey January/February set this off badly. March has been around this point though
VO2 Max of 49. Was 45, watch is now showing 48, so some improvement

Cycling
3000km for the year. - Currently 79km behind plan. Although at the start of March this was 300 behind plan, so i've clawed a lot of it back
Complete a 100mile ride - Signed up for a 166km ride in October with lots of elevation, so aiming for a 100 mile ride around June/July so i can get comfortable with the distance

Running
1000km for the year. - Abandoned. Currently done 96km
Marathon distance event. - Abandoned

Strength
As above, i'm hoping to get consistency with strength work. - Pretty much abandoned too. Not much space in current rental to have any equipment. I have gone through phases of squats/lunges, especially when walking the dog, but nothing consistent.

Overall, i'd say fairly disappointing, although March has seen a marked improvement in both ability and motivation. Weight still remains my biggest issue and anyone following my posts in the Weight Loss thread won't be seeing it change anytime soon. Cycling has seen big improvements in the month due to a large increase in volume. So long may that continue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom