• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2060 > 1080ti

Associate
been offered a straight swap for my EVGA 2060 to a EVGA 1080ti in my second pc, I'm torn whether to or not.

I don't really use the rt cores, and the 1080ti does have more vram which would be helpful at 1440p

any input on whether I should swap or not would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
Nah, no way. If it's not even your main rig why bother with the performance boost in exchange for unknown condition?

I would if i knew the 1080ti has as little use as the 2060 however.

Associate
OP
Nah, no way. If it's not even your main rig why bother with the performance boost in exchange for unknown condition?

I would if i knew the 1080ti has as little use as the 2060 however.

the 1080ti in question is some who’s had it from new that I work with, all they do is normal games and isn’t into OC

Soldato
The 1080 Ti is faster, but you lose out on DLSS and any ray tracing, which the 2060 can manage a bit of in games with DLSS. There's also the issue of Nvidia architectures tending to age like milk, and there are games already where Pascal struggles more than it should. Cyberpunk 2077 being one example, where a 1080 Ti is only ~5% faster than a 2060 even before you consider DLSS or ray tracing.

But then you have a 3090 in your main PC according to your signature, so it's not like you're hurting for a way to play the latest AAA slop with all the bells and whistles.

Associate
OP
The 1080 Ti is faster, but you lose out on DLSS and any ray tracing, which the 2060 can manage a bit of in games with DLSS. There's also the issue of Nvidia architectures tending to age like milk, and there are games already where Pascal struggles more than it should. Cyberpunk 2077 being one example, where a 1080 Ti is only ~5% faster than a 2060 even before you consider DLSS or ray tracing.

But then you have a 3090 in your main PC according to your signature, so it's not like you're hurting for a way to play the latest AAA slop with all the bells and whistles.

yeah the second pc is more of something I chucked together out of parts that have been sat around, so it only really for something to fiddle with.

Soldato
yeah the second pc is more of something I chucked together out of parts that have been sat around, so it only really for something to fiddle with.
Well, in that case I guess I'd consider the 1080 Ti more of a "fun" card to tinker with, as older high-end parts usually are. See how it ages and all that.

Soldato
been offered a straight swap for my EVGA 2060 to a EVGA 1080ti in my second pc, I'm torn whether to or not.

I don't really use the rt cores, and the 1080ti does have more vram which would be helpful at 1440p

any input on whether I should swap or not would be greatly appreciated.
1080ti is 2080 level of performance on non rtx games. I can imagine it is still a brilliant 1440p card. But I guess DLSS can be a leveler in some games.

Back
Top Bottom