• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 Super to 3070 / 3080?

Associate
I currently have a 2070 Super GPU.

I've been hovering around stores for the past few months waiting for 3070s and 3080s to come into stock, now with the hiked prices in some stores I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. A 3080 I know would be fantastic to upgrade to, but 3070s seems to be a bit more common.

On paper the 3070 seems like it would perform better at increased FPS of about 50 on average in some game play. But sometimes we know on paper is all too good to be true, so wondering if anyone out there has done a similar upgrade in the past year?

Associate
OP
What kind of monitor are you trying to drive? Anything less than 1440p 144 Hertz wont make a difference between 2070 Super and 3080. I personally wouldn't bother with 3070 for 2070 Super given how similar the performance is (except RT, but nobody cares about that really).

Driving a 1440p at 100Hz. I find the 2070 is REALLY struggling with it, even though it's a 2070 super. Yeah, I think I'm set on a 3080 at the moment. But finding one at MSRP is tricky! Will not give in to the scalpers XD

Associate
OP
I wouldnt say performance similar between 2070 super and 3070 when the 3070 performance is similar to 2080ti

I currently have the 5700xt and play at 1440p and want to make the jump to 3080 but never will pay scalper and just hoping to get one on nvidia drop got the alerts ready :cry: I was tempted with the forum member deal for the 3070 today but rather try for 3080fe at £650 and having the 5700xt isnt end of the world :D

Haha yeah, not going to lie was mighty jealous of you guys getting the member forum deal. And that's why I was a little curious as to see peoples views who have access to buy the cards at MSRP or have already have one.
Much more of an honest opinion.

But I will have patience. I'm happy I at least have an RTX for streaming too with the NVENC encoding. It could be a lot worse. ALMOST was convinced to go down the AMD route with the FidelityFX announcement

Associate
OP
I'm currently running a 2070Super on dual-monitor ultrawides (3440x1440), though I mostly run games in various different modes (and only on a single monitor, my second monitor is for media or work).

Currently on the hunt for a 3090, as that 24gb of vram is kinda becoming a necessity for work. Don't think it'll ever happen at MSRP though. Overclockers are currently selling it for higher than scalper prices.

Yeah I've been debating whether or not to get a 3090 and what the life span of that series will be. With doing video editing and streaming I could validate it. But if I have to upgrade again in a couple of years, could I justify it?

Back
Top Bottom