20pin psu in a 24pin socket?

Soldato
i'm sure you can do this but a friend of mine has had to buy a new psu and its only got a 20pin connector, but the MB is 24pin - can you just plug it straight in with no problems?? and what do the remaining 4 pins do if you can??

cheers

To be honest if he's got an ATX 2.0 PSU then it should have either a 24pin connector or a split 20 and 4. If not then you can just get the 12 volt 4 pin and stick it in the remaining empty pin space.

Check the mobo manual and it should tell you if it is ok and which end is pin 1 (although you shouldn't be able to plug it in wrong as the holes are shaped)

It should be fine - all my current motherboards are running this way.

Marc

so the extra 4 sockets should be at one end, or will there be 2 either side (just to make sure)

anyway, hes scottish and bought the cheapest psu he could find - £7 - cheap git, serves him right - lol

williamw11 said:
Wait for it to go BOOM. Take it he doesnt value his components then. :eek: There should be 4 at the end. Line the clip up and you cant go wrong.

yes - there should be 4 empty at the end, but don't rely on lining up the clip. On my boards the clip doesn't line up at all when using a 20pin PSU.

williamw11 said:
Wait for it to go BOOM. Take it he doesnt value his components then. :eek: There should be 4 at the end. Line the clip up and you cant go wrong.

My £5 PSU has been running for 2 years and is still fine ;)... Bought a £40 Hiper and it went boom :p within 0.1 seconds...

Back
Top Bottom