233s many mile Mondeo

Soldato
alas after the last thread disappearing for various reasons, I thought it might be good to resurrect the thread for her replacement.

let me introduce 233s new many mile Mondeo.

i'll also be keeping a thorough maintenance log just to let people see just how the miles add to the cost over the years

she arrived at the end of last month, all shiny and new

I was quite taken

she got to meet her predecessor, who is now away to a well earned retirement and was last seen soaking up the sun in Pitlochry

new owner is a good friend and has promised me visitation rights and to look after her in the fashion to which shes accustomed too,

before anyone asks, there will be no modifications of any kind, Mods are bad Mmmkay and get you in lots of trouble

so new phone holder, boot liner, stickers and a hole drilled in the roof later I realized that modifications are subjective :)

username also happens to be my taxi callsign :)

genuine boot liner price left me feeling violated, not even as much as a reach around :(

there are other forums out there it seems :)

She arrived on the 20th of april with 7 miles on the clock , and entered service on the 22nd. as of today she's sitting on 7200 :D:D:D having been to pretty much every part of the uk

Loch Tummel

stalking a GT40 round the M25

up to Glencoe

and gained a big sister after I prised the god awful ecosport away from the wifes clutches.

Total costs so far

Maintenance £0
Fuel £894.70 (according to Fuelly)
sundries £52 (boot liner)

first impressions are,

Good
its torquey, goes well pulls well and seems to be loosening off nicely as the miles go on
its much quieter and more refined than the mk4.5
it eats miles just as well as the mk4.5

Bad
the boots seems a lot smaller than the old Mondeo
it drinks fuel (average of 40.5 so far but its climbing as the miles rise)
its even bigger than the old Mondeo, utterly lolworthy when you park at certain carparks and overhang both ends of a space :)

many updates to follow

Last edited:

Soldato
OP
Hell no 6 speed manual all the way

Plan on putting big miles on this one and the thought of a complex auto box that I can't touch myself(never worked on an autobox) fills me with thoughts of scary big bills

Soldato
Good to see another thread back I enjoyed the last one.
Can i ask given that your last mondeo gave you trouble free motoring how does it make financial sense to buy a brand new car that probably cost you 3x more than your last one and is going to take a massive hit in value when it's got over 100k on in a couple years time :confused:

Soldato
OP
Good to see another thread back I enjoyed the last one.
Can i ask given that your last mondeo gave you trouble free motoring how does it make financial sense to buy a brand new car that probably cost you 3x more than your last one and is going to take a massive hit in value when it's got over 100k on in a couple years time :confused:

Joys of the tax system depreciation gets written down against my tax bill

Free car effectively finance over 3 years write down to a 0 value over the same time

Not quite sure on all the ins and outs but that's what the accountants for

Soldato

If it's anything like here then once a car hits a certain age you have to retire it from being a taxi.

The GF is currently running one of her dads old MK3 Mondeo ex-taxis until it dies as it had to be retired, it's still going though with over 400k on the clock.

Cheaper to run on a commute than our Grand Cherokee which now sits on the drive 6 days a week.

Soldato
OP
Are the long distances for pleasure? Who gets a taxi from London to Scotland?! :p

I do a lot of medical repatriation work for insurance companies. People taking Ill on coach tours coming back into different airports due to lack of flights etc

Soldato
I do a lot of medical repatriation work for insurance companies. People taking Ill on coach tours coming back into different airports due to lack of flights etc

I was wondering how such massive trips could be necessary too but this makes a lot of sense! Crazy mileage, twice as many in a month than I've done since September :o

Soldato
OP
Err. I did have a very brief spell with uber when they were offering licenced operators vast fortunes to even try the platform equated to free money sign on bonuses coupled with referrals meant they were paying existing operators £500 for nothing more than attending an hour long briefing session and downloading the app. Mad not to take their free money

Back
Top Bottom