24" Glossy LCD

Associate
Hi everyone,

Really would muchly appreciate some help in chosing a new 24" monitor for my new Mac pro set up.

I am absolutely set on having a glossy monitor - those things look stunning, but I'm finding it hard (even on the manufacturers website!) to find out what finish the screens are that I'm looking at! A friend has the NEC MultiSync® 20WGX²Pro display which is absolutely amazing, but from reading threads on here I gather a 24" version isn't on the cards for the time being! Ah well!

I've looked at the 24" version of the NEC, obviously with the lesser panel, but also have taken a look at some Samsung monitors. I also like the BenQ 24" screens, but I gather they aren't glossy...

Oh and budget, well I can't go crazy and spend a grand, but £400/£500 would be OK! I'm willing to be swayed on budget the specs demand it.

Some of the threads on here have given me a few ideas, but any suggestions are really appreciated.

Cheers,

Jack

Associate
OP
Have to say, I'm really struggling to find which monitors are actually glossy, and which monitors have glossy stands etc. It's so confusing... I'm actually pretty stuck now as to which monitor screens are actually glossy, and which stands/edges are glossy! :s

Soldato
I also share your love of glossy screens. I have a 24'' HP w2408h, and it's hands down the best screen I've ever seen. I love it to bits. Got it from a well-known PC shop as OCUK don't sell it; cost me £300.

It also swivels to portrait mode, which delights and amazes my friends although I can see no practical use for it whatsoever.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haha! Well to be honest, I've been sat at my laptop since 8am (aside from getting a bacon buttie!!) and can only find on the net about 4 glossy screens...! Yours being one of them!

Argh it's totally not clear on any of the manufacturers websites what finish the screens are... And even then the 'glossy' finish is called alsorts of different manufactuer-specific names.... BrightView... Opticlear... Blah! Do you know of any other 24" glossy options? I am struggling to find any to be honest!!

How would your HP look with dual screens? The edges look quite thick on that model...

Cheers!

Jack

Soldato
I can't understand why glossy screens are so rare; you buy more than a basic laptop and you'll get one as standard so what's the deal with desktop screens?! I saw the 2408 in the shop and immediately knew I had to have it; because there are so few on the market I didn't want to miss the opportunity!

I know that there are various glossy displays floating about branded as Philips or Xerox, but I'm not sure they go to 24''.

The edges are quite thick though. I can measure the bezel when I get home if you want? I don't think it's really designed to be used in a dual screen configuration. It's also predominantly black, which means it might clash with your Mac.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much! That would be great if that's alright?

In terms of the blackness... I'm not bothered - my monitors (the speaker kind) will be black so the screen being black isn't a worry.

To be honest, I can't really see anything better than the Hyundai 240D PVA at the moment (HDMI, DVI, glossy - I think, but can't find a concrete answer - and also 24"...) Can anyone confirm if this screen is actually glossy or not?

This is the only screen I can actually find which is:
a) 24"
b) glossy
c) dvi, hdmi, and good old vga

Unless anyone else knows any different?

Cheers,

Jack

Soldato
Most glossy screens are TN panels, the glossyness helps make things look more "vivid" and covers up some of the drawbacks of the technology.

The only glossy non TN screen I know of is the one on the new iMac 24"!

Associate
OP
reflux, thanks very much for checking that out for me! :)

So basically, I'm flogging a dead horse in wanting to get a 24" GLOSSY widescreen monitor, without a TN panel, and with DVI (and hopefully HDMI and VGA)... With my only option - literally - being the HP w2408h?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom