24 hours in Barcelona

Soldato
I've got tickets for a gig (Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie) on the 27th August. The plan was to drive up, stay over and then drive back, but after thinking about how ropey the car is and the cost of petrol/parking i looked at other options. A first class train is ~6hrs each way and works out at €180 round trip. So much for cheap travel in Europe! (granted those are 1st class seats, but basic was €55 so upgrading to comfort was then €75 for some extra space and then it made sense to spend an extra €15 and get included food/drink if nothing else).

Flights then worked out at €125 so i've gone with that. It has me arriving in Barcelona at 9am and then flight out the next day is 3pm. Leaving loads of time to explore. The gig is in the Poble Espanyol which seems fairly central which is nice. Not booked a hotel yet but aiming for something cheap whilst avoiding a hostel.

Any must see places? Or should i just generally wander around? Mainly focusing on things to see/free options as we'll be heading back someday with the wife and i'm trying to keep costs down. Generally have a love of tall buildings and viewpoints along with booze :D

There is a big church/cathedral thing on a hill behind the city. I can't remember what it's called, but Google it, it's a popular tourist attraction. I'm not really into religion, but the building is cool and the view is very nice up there.

We went up there, admittedly one of the mates I was with knew where he was going, but you can take the metro system and get reasonably close, then walk up, I'd say easily walkable unless you are elderly or disabled etc, we did it and I was hungover as ****.

The garden/park area below it is quite nice as well.

The beach is also ok, but ..watch the police there, you can't drink on the street/public places in Barcelona and there are people who try and sell you alcohol there.

If you get to the airport early on the way back and fancy a drink, there isn't anywhere that serves alcohol in the airport as far as I am aware I'm but the little train station literally outside the door does have a proper bar.

I've got tickets for a gig (Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie) on the 27th August. The plan was to drive up, stay over and then drive back, but after thinking about how ropey the car is and the cost of petrol/parking i looked at other options. A first class train is ~6hrs each way and works out at €180 round trip. So much for cheap travel in Europe! (granted those are 1st class seats, but basic was €55 so upgrading to comfort was then €75 for some extra space and then it made sense to spend an extra €15 and get included food/drink if nothing else).

Flights then worked out at €125 so i've gone with that. It has me arriving in Barcelona at 9am and then flight out the next day is 3pm. Leaving loads of time to explore. The gig is in the Poble Espanyol which seems fairly central which is nice. Not booked a hotel yet but aiming for something cheap whilst avoiding a hostel.

Any must see places? Or should i just generally wander around? Mainly focusing on things to see/free options as we'll be heading back someday with the wife and i'm trying to keep costs down. Generally have a love of tall buildings and viewpoints along with booze :D
Also, there is a cable car you can take to go up montjuic mountain, to where poble Espanol is. I imagine that has quite good views.

rp2000

Awesome. Never heard of that. I was only thinking of the “melting” cathedral. That definitely ticks the box for me.

Cable car also sounds good. Is Poble Español another place then? From my understanding it was a venue and looked pretty central!

Last edited:
Poble Espanol is like an artificial Spanish small village/museum space at the bottom of montjuic mountain. There's bars and shops inside as well. Really hard to describe, but it's used for various events. There is a big town square in the middle, I imagine the concert would be there. Last time I went there was a wrestling ring and luchadors there!

It's relatively central, albeit a bit hard to get to (look on Google maps!).

I misremembered, it's at the bottom of the hill and the cable car takes you to the top of the mountain. But you can still take it up and then walk down to Poble Espanol!

rp2000

Last edited:
Poble Espanol is like an artificial Spanish small village/museum space at the bottom of montjuic mountain. There's bars and shops inside as well. Really hard to describe, but it's used for various events. There is a big town square in the middle, I imagine the concert would be there. Last time I went there was a wrestling ring and luchadors there!

It's relatively central, albeit a bit hard to get to (look on Google maps!).

I misremembered, it's at the bottom of the hill and the cable car takes you to the top of the mountain. But you can still take it up and then walk down to Poble Espanol!

rp2000
Oh awesome. I’d assumed it was indoors but just seen some pictures of an outdoor stage.

That’ll be amazing.

Well. What a wasted journey! At least as far as Barcelona was concerned.

I landed around 9am and got a metro into town. Got off at “Fira” as my hotel was on Gran Via near the hospital (terrible booking but I wanted cheap)

I set off walking from the hotel and down lots of dirty back streets. I’ve been ill a few days which meant I didn’t put any thought into planning.

Happened on the palace and impressed buildings around there. Carried on up the hill and thought I’d be able to cut through the Botanical Gardens to the port and then head along to the Gothic Quarter.

However I didn’t realise I’d have to pay so walked back and towards the hotel for a rest as was feeling rubbish.

Then spent 5 hours in my room shivering and sweating.

Left again and got a tram to L’Espanyol for the gig, grabbed a salad bowl and water and headed back to the palace and Poble Espanyol which is already seen.

I was exhausted afterwards and made my way back to the hotel.

This morning I still feel crap. My flight was at 3pm and I didn’t wake till half 9, ended up just having breakfast at the hotel.
By that time I was checked out it was about 11 and I’ve just jumped on the tram to the airport as don’t have the energy/time to do much else.

Will definitely be back with the wife for a few days.
I really wasted the trip with poor planning and feeling ill. On another day I’d have walked from the Palace to the big Cathedral etc and probably covered 10-15 miles just enjoying it all but just couldn’t manage it.

The Poble Espanyol however was superb as a venue. I’d love to see another event there when I felt better.

Back
Top Bottom