£25 - 30k Saloon

Gangster
Associate
I love the look of the MB C43 and was 99% with going ahead and purchasing it but I have since read about the crabbing issue. I don’t think I can live with a car that makes a juddering/skipping noise every time I make a sharp turn or drive into a multi storey car park. I know that changing tyres to all seasons can temporary help but once the tyre tread goes down the problem comes back...

Anyway I’ve been looking for alternatives and the only cars that comes close are the BMW 335d/340i. I like the 335d as it has 4WD but it is a diesel. I like the 340i because it’s petrol but it’s only RWD.

Are there any other cars I should be looking at? I don’t like the exterior look of the Audi A4s so not interested in it.

OcUK Staff
M340i if you want new.

B7/B8 RS4 saloon if you want something cooler but older but in B7 terms appreciating. 20k buys you a stunning B7 RS4 and values seem to be only going up, of course running cost will be vastly higher but suspect if kept in great condition then offset by appreciation. Otherwise a B8 RS4 is still a good buy with DSG and done most of their depreciation.

Otherwise an M340i really is an awesome car, alternatively a used F80 M3 Competition is also within budget but again running cost be far higher and these are still losing money.

Man of Honour
Anyway I’ve been looking for alternatives and the only cars that comes close are the BMW 335d/340i. I like the 335d as it has 4WD but it is a diesel. I like the 340i because it’s petrol but it’s only RWD.

Neither of these cars are credible 25-30k buys. They are both F30 3 Series - a discontinued and dated car that came out almost 9 years ago. It's not a bad car - far from it - but it isn't a £30k car anymore. If you want one spend £15k on a 335i instead it's basically the same experience at half the price.

If you particularly liked the 335d you should instead look at the G20 330d. Despite being a 330d instead of a 335d it isn't really that much worse performance wise but crucially it is the all new, fresh 3 Series platform - a much better car than the previous model and well worth the slight power compromise over the 335d. It is available with 4wd. There is also a 330i which is similarly powerful but is a 4 cylinder petrol turbo.

Alternatively, if you crave 6 cylinder petrol power then look at the 540i - these are just creeping under £30k now but will be 3 or so years old. It is at least a current generation car though and is so much better than the 2012-2019 model 3 Series. It is also 4wd only in the UK.

Please please please please don't spend £30k on a 335d or a 340i.

Soldato
It's only been out 18 month's and the cheapest ones are visit 36k unfortunately. I'd love one :D
Your appetite for a 3 series is surprising, especially after the E92 experience of the past. The 3 is a fairly notable step down in luxury compared with the 5.

Man of Honour
Your appetite for a 3 series is surprising, especially after the E92 experience of the past. The 3 is a fairly notable step down in luxury compared with the 5.

Have you driven the G20? It's an enormous improvement.

At the same time, BMW accidentally targeted the 5 Series facelift at the second hand market in 15 years time. There isn't a single M Sport available without black wheels and black tinted rear lights.

Hence the swaying towards the G20..

OcUK Staff
It's only been out 18 month's and the cheapest ones are visit 36k unfortunately. I'd love one :D

Did not realise they were so much, maybe something I should consider when moving M5 on but current favourite right now is an F80 M3 CP or CS. I think even if the M340i is the better car I'd still maybe wish I'd got a CS or CP instead.

Associate
I love the look of the MB C43 and was 99% with going ahead and purchasing it but I have since read about the crabbing issue. I don’t think I can live with a car that makes a juddering/skipping noise every time I make a sharp turn or drive into a multi storey car park. I know that changing tyres to all seasons can temporary help but once the tyre tread goes down the problem comes back...

The problem is probably exaggerated a little, as is usual for the internet.......

I have a C43. Yes, crabbing is a problem but it's only when you're at almost full lock, only when the temperature is below 15 degrees C, only when you're travelling at speeds under 10mph and only on summer tyres. Therefore only in specific circumstances will you notice it.

When my summers wore down, I changed to All Seasons (Vred. Quatrac Pro) and have had no issue with it since. I don't drive my car on the limit so I don't need the best, highest performing summer tyres on there. I'm happy with the best all-rounder. With 4matic, the C43 has great traction no matter what the conditions, which is important for a family car.

I went with the C43 because at the time (2.5 years ago), the G20 3-series was due to be released imminently which would make the F30 old and the G20 would be out of my price range. If I could pick up the current gen M340i for the same money I paid for my C43 now, that's what I'd get. I wouldn't get the F30 which is now an old car (albeit a very good one).

Soldato
Have you driven the G20? It's an enormous improvement.

At the same time, BMW accidentally targeted the 5 Series facelift at the second hand market in 15 years time. There isn't a single M Sport available without black wheels and black tinted rear lights.

Hence the swaying towards the G20..

I haven't, the G20 just doesn't appeal to me, don't like the styling and the interior is a bit basic and small.

SE seems like the obvious solution if you don't want a chav spec. Tend to be more optioned up on the used market too.

Would you really want a 40i after being used to a 30d? It seems to be the thing to do these days off the back of dieselgate etc, but seems like most are in for a bit of a shock when they realise the petrol motor uses almost double the fuel the diesel does.

Soldato
My F30 suffers from this but only at very low speeds, with full lock and when in reverse, well I've only ever noticed it when in reverse. First time I noticed it it was a what the hell moment but then did some reading and have since forgotten about it.

Man of Honour
I haven't, the G20 just doesn't appeal to me, don't like the styling and the interior is a bit basic and small.

You should try one - I've had a couple now for 24 hours each and despite only being 320d I do like them and the interior is nice - very similar to the X5 in terms of its design.

SE seems like the obvious solution if you don't want a chav spec. Tend to be more optioned up on the used market too.

Made that 'mistake' (I couldnt afford an F10 M Sport at the time) once, won't do it again, M Sport only :D

Would you really want a 40i after being used to a 30d? It seems to be the thing to do these days off the back of dieselgate etc, but seems like most are in for a bit of a shock when they realise the petrol motor uses almost double the fuel the diesel does.

No, not really. I think you're right. I've driven the 520i, 520d, 530d, 540d, M550d and the 540i quite extensively and other than sound a bit better the 540i offers nothing over the diesel variants. However diesel is clearly hated and it's debatable how suitable it is for shorter trips etc which naturally lends itself to the 540i. But you're right, the 5 Series is a distance car and the petrol doesn't suit it as well as the diesel does. Another think thats pushed me towards the M340i - at least that offers a bit of 'M performance' fun to go alongside the thirst.

Associate
F80 M3. They should be propped up by the E90 values (I know E90s dipped below E46s for a little while, but the F80 is arguably the superior car). 30k should get you a half decent one I'd have thought and it shouldn't lose that much money.

Soldato
You should try one - I've had a couple now for 24 hours each and despite only being 320d I do like them and the interior is nice - very similar to the X5 in terms of its design.

Made that 'mistake' (I couldnt afford an F10 M Sport at the time) once, won't do it again, M Sport only :D

No, not really. I think you're right. I've driven the 520i, 520d, 530d, 540d, M550d and the 540i quite extensively and other than sound a bit better the 540i offers nothing over the diesel variants. However diesel is clearly hated and it's debatable how suitable it is for shorter trips etc which naturally lends itself to the 540i. But you're right, the 5 Series is a distance car and the petrol doesn't suit it as well as the diesel does. Another think thats pushed me towards the M340i - at least that offers a bit of 'M performance' fun to go alongside the thirst.

I'm curious, why would the 40i lend itself to shorter trips any more than a 30d? 30e is the choice for shorter trips, hardly any or even no fuel use, and refinement that eclipses any combustion engine. For me it works brilliantly, I have a 3.5mi commute and live close to all amenities, I manage most driving on electric. What it isn't however, is a distance car, the petrol motor is not economical at all really.

Back
Top Bottom