£25 a week food budget do-able?

Soldato
I dunno, I thought it was an obscure way of saying meat to say muscles
yes, I continued with the spelling since it was an amusing nod/pun to the previous protein comments.

and, yeah, freeze before they've been in the oven
I freeze the lasagne 'mince mix' alone - takes up less freezer space, plus if you added uncooked pasta & bechemel do they cook OK on the thaw.
If you freeze the mix that is ~spaghetti bolognaise too.

Soldato
I freeze the lasagne 'mince mix' alone - takes up less freezer space, plus if you added uncooked pasta & bechemel do they cook OK on the thaw.
If you freeze the mix that is ~spaghetti bolognaise too.
That works if you have time to build it. Adds to the ~45 mins it takes when fully prepped, though. (handy for weekday evenings, getting home from work)

Soldato
If it's smelly and on the day, you can take it back for a replacement still.

So you get freshness for reduced price!

Personally I've eaten heaps and heaps of reduced fish (local Waitrose does it all the time) and never had an issue.

Reduced muscles are the best, god I move muscles

muscles are moving outside scope of £25p/w but the latest comments I could see on supermarket fish freshness (not even the last day reduced variety)

that sums it up for me, I do not believe any of the supermarkets are sufficiently proud of their supply chnain to publish data.

Caporegime
Replace meat with lots of beans and lentils. Bulk buy.

Although pasta is cheap you would be better off eating more vegetables, make a mash form potatoes, turnips and carrots for example. Big bags of frozen peas.

At the end fo the day what you eat is incredibly important so I would look at cutting back other thigns. Downgrade internet package, sell TV and stop any TV license or cable/sky, downgrade to a basic phone service. There are a lot of monthly expenses that are better spent of getting a healthy diet.

Associate
OP
DP, I've cut down on quite a few other things as well. I've kept a few basic things as my opticians, mobile phone (which is a pretty low package and up to renewal in November so I will see what I can do to lower that cost further). My utility bills is all included in my rent so I only pay for my internet in those ways. My internet package is one of the cheapest I can get here with the criterias I want (unlimited downloads is one of them).

The main thing I want with a clearer food budget is to structure my living better, and prep a lot better than I do. At the moment I do waste too much on impulsive shopping while doing my food shopping. By setting up a tighter budget it would hopefully also improve my own cooking and improvisational cooking skills as well. When this is done to a better standard I can start up my budget.

Associate
£25 a week is very easily doable for a single person if you don’t mind being prepared, I have actually managed it for 2 for just over £100 over the course of a month. A local butcher does 20 chicken breasts for £15 and 1kg mince steak, 1kg their own bacon, 1kg pork and leek sausages, 4x200g sirloins and a 1kg marinated chopped chicken breast for £20 so we managed to fit a decent amount of meat into the diet also.

If you have no cheap butchers or meat market I would keep an eye on the likes of Musclefood special offers for bulk buys on meat.

Eggs, porridge, pasta, rice, flour are all pretty cheap, and there’s nothing wrong with value bags of veg. I will see if I can find my monthly food order and recipes that I used

Soldato
One thing i forgot to mention in my previous post is if you want something like chicken, rather than buying a packet of chicken breasts for £3 or more, buy a whole chicken for about the same cost and portion/butcher it up.

Gordon ramsay has a video on youtube on how to best portion one up and to maximise what you have and its dead easy to follow. Plus you'll get 3-4 meals out of it easily

Soldato
One meat i use a lot of is Ox heart, use it to bulk out a stew with beef skirt. Normally pay about £3 for one and mixing it 50/50 with £20 worth of skirt. Loads of veg and sweet potatoes (better than normal potatoes)

If you have the stomach for such meat as well, a pigs pluck is very cheap for plenty of meat. I usually get a few and have them mince it, mix it in with some cheap cuts of pork and make meatballs.

One thing i forgot to mention in my previous post is if you want something like chicken, rather than buying a packet of chicken breasts for £3 or more, buy a whole chicken for about the same cost and portion/butcher it up.

Gordon ramsay has a video on youtube on how to best portion one up and to maximise what you have and its dead easy to follow. Plus you'll get 3-4 meals out of it easily

Got to buy in bulk, we pay £15 for 5kg of chicken breast and £10 for 5kg of thighs.
Best place for whole chicken is the supermarkets late on, morrisons for instance sell them off around 8pm.
Loaves of tiger bread for 5p, buy a few and freeze them, mackeral fillets for 50p.
Eating can be incredibly cheap just got to know where the deals are.

Soldato
I'd suggest cooking a large portion of mince, maybe 2-3kg at a time. Couple of cans of chopped tomatoes and some garlic. Then package these in plastic tubs and freeze them. Eat with pasta or rice and frozen mixed veg.

Soldato
We manage on £50-80 a week (family of 4) and the kids eat like gannets.

There are a few dairy/gluten intolerances between us so budget covers things like brown rice pasta, wholegrain rice, coconut milk, which adds to the cost a bit more.

Batch cooking is great but things like lasagna is expensive to buy in one go - the meat alone isn't cheap. You could always replace the meat with lentils (it is actually nicer IMO). Avoid tinned veg as more expensive but things like tomato soup or chicken soup can be a good base for a dish, on a budget.

The only meat we really eat is chicken (get whole and cook it - cheaper) we buy one and spread it to last 3 meals between us, plus using bones to make stock and adding a cup or two of boiling water 10 minutes before chicken is cooked you can use those juices for more stock, plus once refrigerated I use the fat to fry etc. One thing I found with chicken is actually better to buy a ~£5 than the 3 for £10 offers you often find - you actually end up with more meat and it tastes better.

Fruit can be reasonably expensive but depends what you buy - seasonal is the key. Apples and pears are dirt cheap at the moment.

Three tips I would give:

1) Shop around - my local equivalent to Aldi is actually much more expensive on fresh fruit and veg than Waitrose.

2) A good rule of thumb when it comes to fresh fruit/veg - eat seasonal as it is often much cheaper!

3) For some dishes, there is no escaping the need for quality, more pricey ingredients but easy to find ways to make it stretch further.

I shop almost exclusively at Waitrose and still manage that budget - we have limited supermarket choice here (no Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury).

Last edited:
Soldato
We've gone from buying chicken breasts to buying a whole chicken, roast in the bag too for less mess. We get 1 roast meal for 2 adults and a toddler and i get enough for a lunch 2 times. I'm good at stripping all the meat off the carcus. And it's Virtually same price as 2 small breasts.

We use quorn mince and chicken pieces when it's on offer for chilli's and spaghetti bolognese and we don't notice the difference other than my farts are worst on those days haha

Something you should seriously consider if your trying to live on a food budget is do you have some space for growing a few things yourself

There are some veggies and salad items for example that are very cheap and space efficient to grow. You just need to invest the time.

Eg Radish, a pack of seeds is very cheap, they are almost impossible to mess up as long as you have some growth medium (some super cheap compost is ideal) and a sunny location. They grow in 3-4 weeks.
Tomatos again, quite space efficient crop, you can salvage a few seeds from a tomato even if you want. A growbag will grow 2-3 plants, so about £1.50. You will proably generate 5+ times that value over 3 months july-sept or so.

Potatoes grow easily in bags. Even small fruit bushes if this is a longer term aim, its providing variety.
Chilli/pepper plants, much like tomoatos, harvest a few seeds, germinate and grow.

Caporegime
Herbs are your biggest savigns when growing. Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thai basil, mint, are all exceptionally easy to grow and you save a fortune.

Soldato
i live 2 mins walk from an Asda, pop in just before closing and I can often pick up a loaf of bread for 10p, dozen eggs for 30p etc.

there are people who go to our local Morrison with this in mind every day. I dont blame them either sometimes you can get £3.50 sarnies for like 15p etc

Back
Top Bottom