£25 a week food budget do-able?

Soldato
Breakfast should never cost more than 75p with some fruit (e.g. a banana) included.

Main meals should be curries, chilli, lasagna, pasta dishes, egg fried rice, etc. E.g. you can roast a full medium chicken for £3.50 and have enough meat for four meals. Add that to pasta with some vegs and pesto - job done.

Associate
I generally spend £100 a month per person on food, family of four. Now the kids are 17 and 21 and are home less that bill has dropped to nearly half that! Actually checking my wallet my last 2 weeks shops were £56.88 and £47.60. That is lunches and evening meals in my house. None of my lot bother with breakfast.

So yes £25 a week is fine. Though don't expect to have a take away a month on that. But making larger meals and freezing great idea. The wife freezes all sorts from mains to deserts.

Soldato
One money saving tip if you like to use fresh herbs is to buy the plants when they are on offer at Tesco for like 50p each. I have fresh Basil all summer from a single 50p plant. All you have to do is thin the plants out a bit and water it and once a week add like 5 drops of plantfood to the water.

Then at the end of summer harvest all the leaves, chop them up and put them in ice cube trays with a little water and freeze them.

daz

daz

Soldato
I think it's doable but you just have to plan well. Lived a lot like this as a student (as I imagine most people do or have done)... use leftovers where possible for lunch, and even if there's not a whole 'portion' left for lunch you can put the left overs on a jacket potato or just have some bread or stick it in a sandwich to make it more of a meal. Stick with own brand stuff but don't go blue and white stripe. A lack of flavour or boredom with your meals can usually be made up for with additional heat, so grab a bottle of hot sauce (Encona is usually on offer for £1). It makes cheap beans nicer, cheap soups nicer, etc. :p

Back
Top Bottom