2560x1440 - best on 27" or 32" monitor?

Soldato
So far it looks fine, no dead pixels either. How would I test for banding?

Mine looked like this, with two main darker bands near the middle and a lot of lighter variations:

dmGvNHd.jpg

Basically it became really obvious the moment I was in a game (e.g. Minecraft) or displaying a solid, pale colour. Didn't have to hunt for it, I noticed it before I knew it was a thing :/

OCUK refunded without issue, but I didn't have the stomach to potentially go through multiple units only to find out it might be inherent to the model...

*edit: yes, it's "minimal" but the thing is... I have an 8 year old Dell 24" that has no such issues. I can't possibly accept any level of banding, bleed, or dead pixels when I have such an old unit that is 100% perfect still after all those years of service. If you see this kind of thing on a new screen, it is NOT unavoidable, it's just the manufacturer being a slack with their QC, and you should send it back to let them know it's not OK.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do prefer the bigger screen size over "quality of image".
As do I man. I have a 27" 1080p screen, which many tried to tell me was too big for the resolution. I'm very happy with it. I very much care about IQ and all that, but a bigger image make for such a more immersive gaming experience. Especially if you like any sim games.

But damn, 32" is *huge*! You can always push it back to a comfortable distance, though.

Associate
Why don't you buy a better GPU now and get a better monitor later? Get a 24" cheap-o 1080P display and a 1060, then later on, get a second monitor, a 1440P 27", and use that as your main monitor. Now you have a dual display setup. Yay.

Associate
OP
Mine looked like this, with two main darker bands near the middle and a lot of lighter variations:

dmGvNHd.jpg

Basically it became really obvious the moment I was in a game (e.g. Minecraft) or displaying a solid, pale colour. Didn't have to hunt for it, I noticed it before I knew it was a thing :/

Well I did some tests regarding banding, and it looks okay to me:

banding01a_zpsqkamfmok.jpg

banding01b_zps0sz9hjrf.jpg

monitor_zpsofuspriv.jpg

I think I got a good one... can anyone advise?

As do I man. I have a 27" 1080p screen, which many tried to tell me was too big for the resolution. I'm very happy with it. I very much care about IQ and all that, but a bigger image make for such a more immersive gaming experience. Especially if you like any sim games.

But damn, 32" is *huge*! You can always push it back to a comfortable distance, though.

After getting the BL3200PT, I'm definitely sure that 32" is perfect for me now.

I sit about 2ft - 2.5ft away from it and it's awesome. I'm pretty sure that if I went to a 27" it would be too small for me now!

Soldato
Well I did some tests regarding banding, and it looks okay to me:

That looks better than the one I had, although maybe there's some darker spots down at the bottom? Probably wouldn't have cared if that's all mine had, but when they go up the whole height of the screen it's definitely not ok :/

The easy test is to do what you usually do with your PC and see how you feel with it. For me, the banding showed up worst on things like sky blue... and I discovered it by playing Minecraft, then Kerbal Space Program, both of which felt like the screen was dirty. If yours isn't giving you that effect, then I'd call it a good one :)

Soldato
Recently tried a 27" 1440p and it was lovely and crisp but had to be returned, after my experience with that panel, I'm probably going for the BL3200PT too. I sit like 3-3.5 feet back from mine (big desk) and felt 27" was a bit small for 1440p.

My only doubt is that i may finally have properly lost it, considering the BL3200PT for a portrait screen next to my main screen...

Back
Top Bottom