27" 144hz/1440p suggestions

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my current screen to something a bit tastier and I've been reviewing a lot of the other threads here and there certainly is a lot of good info to hand. But having checked out all the current crop of monitors...I'll be honest, I'm damned if I can decide which way to go with making a decision.

I know rig specs are important on maximising what screen may be the best choice, with what rig you may currently have and also, looking a bit further down the line in regards to *GPU upgrading* is a factor I'm taking into account too.

So here they are...
Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97
i7 4790K 4.0GHz
16gb Corsair ram
Evga GTX980 Classified (*see above*)
1000W Superflower PSU
x3 Samsung 512gb SSD

Current screen was a hurried replacement (the Dell I had basically died) and is an Acer 27" KG271 TN. It's ok and cost like a 150 quid and has served it's purpose well whilst accumulating new screen funds. But getting a much faster screen has always been at the top of the list.

Predominately a gaming rig, but is also used for all the other various tasks you'd expect in a home. Pretty much a fps player...so TF2, SWBF/II, BF series and some racing and adventure games too. So at some point the 980 will be getting swapped out, or the possibility of doing the GPU upgrade at the same time as buying the new monitor isn't out of the question.

I'm not looking to upgrade anything other than the screen and (possibly) GPU at present, because the rest of my rig is stable and churns out whatever I need it to. Just looking to increase screen FPS rate and a nicer view when I get blown up/shot/melee'd to death. I can then move the Acer over to the other desktop, so I don't have to wait for my other half to finish on Farmville 2 before I can get on the PC...apparently an old 17" Packard Bell isn't good enough

Not looking to go much bigger than a 27", as this fits perfectly with desk space and distance from screen and I'm aware this is the sweet spot for fps gaming.

Budget, I'm looking around the £800 mark...but this is flexible to a degree and if I can work in that new GPU at the same time for a few quid more, then the job's a good'un. But the new monitor is the primary concern.

I've always used Nvidia cards and predominately Evga's...so G-Sync is a definite preference.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Thanks for your post. So would it be better to consider a Freesync screen as opposed to purely Gsync? Especially with the consideration of an imminent...or very near future GPU upgrade. I'd rather drop the coin now on both and not be hampered by sticking with the 980 for the sake of it.

I'll freely admit after reading like a hundred different reviews so far on cards and screens...the whole Freesync and Gsync options started to blur a bit. I'll take a look at the Viewsonic too.

Associate
OP
Guys, I can't thank you enough for all of the opinions and suggestions. I shall take some time over the coming weekend and properly review all that has been put forward.

As in my OP, the screen is pretty much on the cards as an immediate future buy. But as @Danny75 mentioned and inline with some other info I'd read over the Xmas break, there are some new gpu's dropping this year so could well be tempted to hold fire and keep squeezing the best out of the 980 until then :)

Associate
OP
Hey guys, so a little update ref my OP.

After looking thru all the suggestions that were put forward and reading some outside reviews, I've settled on the LG27GL850 (pre-ordered here)

The specs ticked the boxes I wanted and at 470 quid, pretty much was half of what I budgeted for...so I pulled the pin and dropped in that new GPU as well. As much as I've always been an Nvidia/Evga stalwart, the price and performance of the RX 5700 XT, stacked up against where I'd normally put my money, was a pretty easy decision.

Seeing as I was going to go all in on a new screen for £800, to get both for the extra 120 quid just made sense.

Once I've taken delivery I'll post up my thoughts and hopefully it'll help anyone else who's looking for a similar upgrade to their screen :)

Back
Top Bottom