27" 2017 iMac - *** decision made ***

Associate
The filtered navigation was a bit of a minefield to find the configurations I was after but thought the discount of 10% and two year warranty over Apple was decent.

Where are you able to beat the KRCS price? Are you able to say or post it here? I thought 10% was as good as it would get?

Your spec sounds mint! I might just end up with the same but with 512 SSD as need to factor in the RAM upgrade. How much is that config coming to?

Cheers.

Associate
No worries. I definitely can't get that then but thanks for letting me know though. It seems KRCS is the best route for those who can't get that. They seem to have stores in the Midlands and decent enough feedback online so can't be all that bad for wanting to save 10% over Apple direct. It effectively same as Edu prices that have seen for those who can get that.

Soldato
I'm well and truly committed to doing this now. I have the Drobo, it has 3 x 3Tb drives and a couple of old 2Tb drives in it and I've already moved a big chunk of my media over.

Still using my current iMac so it's slow via USB2. I expect this to be faster on the new iMac once it arrives but I'm still not finally decided on which size SSD to go for. I won't be ordering until the end of the month so I'll probably have talked myself into the 1Tb SSD by that time :)

Glad you got your Drobo setup ok Feek. Once you get the Drobo connected via USB-C i'm sure the performance will improve dramatically.

What a horrible site they have to navigate through to try and find custom options. I can beat that price elsewhere though so I won't use them.

I'm pretty much decided now.
i7
8Gb RAM (buy 32Gb from a third party afterwards)
1Tb SSD
Trackpad 2 (Apple have shown over and over again that they can't make a decent mouse)
Wireless keyboard with keypad

Ordering around the end of the month.

Hope you enjoy it Feek, that's a great spec and will be big performance jump from your previous model.

Associate
That's a great spec Feek, hope you enjoy.

Ultimately I had to return my 2017 iMac due to two major issues, yellowing around the edge of the display and the i7 ramping the fan up whilst gaming meaning it was a noisy beast at times, other than that it was a great machine and I could be tempted to try again once the delivery times drop on that 512GB SSD, but this time I'll go with the i5/580 combo.

Soldato
Here's mine - although I'll try and get the Back to School promo added to it if it ever launches (or cancel and reorder). Long delivery wait for the 512GB SSDs :(

RAM - I've ordered an extra 16GB Corsair 2666MHz for £70 (you can search - can't link as from a competitor, and pretty sure it must be a pricing error but let's see if it comes through, fingers crossed)

Man of Honour
God I think even I could do that, though I will buy a back up set as I will probably break or electrocute/wipe the first set. :D

Soldato
God I think even I could do that, though I will buy a back up set as I will probably break or electrocute/wipe the first set. :D

Wouldn't bother with a backup set...Just take your time doing it, it's not a race :)

When handling the RAM hold it by it's edges and make sure it's properly seated in the slot. It can only go in one way with the slot cut outs on the bottom.

I've just upgraded the RAM in my iMac a few weeks ago and it really is an easy process.

Soldato
I just had one of these turn up last week, funnily enough to replace a 2011 iMac. The screen is absolutely stunning, I've never seen text rendered so crisply on a desktop display. I also can't believe how well MacOS handles scaling UI elements compared to how poorly my Surface Pro 4 at work manages it.

Have to say though, the thinness of the display is completely wasted on me. It looks absolutely identical to the old one when you're sitting straight in front of it. The new design means the SD card slot (which I use a lot as a keen photographer) is tucked away inconveniently on the back.

Commissario
OP
@chanjy and @MacRS4 - Are those prices you're showing the final price you're paying or do you need to add VAT onto that?

I'm getting mine via an employee discount scheme which knocks the price down from £3,158 to £2,962.68 and then it's going through a business so my final cost is £2,466 (this is including AppleCare). I'm effectively saving £692 (about 22%) :)

Back
Top Bottom