27" 2017 iMac - *** decision made ***

Commissario
OP
While waiting for the iMac (delivery should be this week), I've just ordered 32Gb of Crucial memory for it which will take me up to 40Gb. That'll be nice.

@ddoubleep, I wonder which size SSD you went for. I did umm and ahh about it and it was the long lead time for the 512Gb version which made me go for the 1Tb SSD instead.

Soldato
Yeah I have gone for another 16GB as well, I don't do anything personally that would need 40GB memory.

I would have gone for the 1TB SSD as well if it wasn't so bloody expensive!

Commissario
OP
On the subject of memory, I probably don't need 40Gb. I probably don't need 32Gb but I do like to future proof as much as I can. When I got my 2011 iMac back in 2011, 8Gb was pretty much the standard but I went with 16Gb.

Soldato
Probably the most stressful thing I think I can throw at my iMac is FCPX, and that never approaches topping out my installed 16 gb. Interestingly, I've the i5 processor and only two apps have ever triggered the fan - iMovie and Civilisation (whatever the latest one is). FCPX seems to use resources far better than iMovie, and that ended up being the decisive factor in me resisting upgrading my current 5K iMac.

Soldato
Lovely spec there Feek you must be well pleased :)

Mine is also set up and 5k is amazing! Never realised though that Magic Mouse doesn't do 2 finger click for right click, you have to enable a right sided click on the mouse and it often gets it wrong and brings up right click when all i wanted to do was click. That's the only annoyance so far :p

Soldato
Yes I'm giving the Apple mouse a go but tempted to go back to my Mionix. Wires would ruin the sleek looking desk though, first world problems eh.

Soldato
Glad it arrived ok and you got the RAM upgraded easily Feek. Those SSD benchmarks are nuts!

How is the Drobo performing now you've got it connected via USB-C?

Commissario
OP
I didn't measure the performance beforehand so I can't compare raw figures but this feels significantly faster than via USB-2 - It's certainly very useable for normal daily use.

63vKIIx.png

Back
Top Bottom