• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700x CH6 Overclocking help

Associate
Hi All,

Looking for some assistance struggling to get this thing stable.

Bios 6004 and leaving everything as apart from setting ram to 3200 or above it won't pass stability tests.

Going to give it another go tomorrow when I get time and looking for some input or advice on process.

I was going to leave it all auto and make sure the cpu is stable with ram at auto and go from there.

I ran my 1700x at 3.9 3200CL 14.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
This
you might need to wait for another bios update before you can run ram at full speed again. i have CH6, x370 gaming 5, prime x370 pro and the CH7 and i cant get ram to run as fast on any of the x370 boards as i can on the CH7. they are anywhere from 200-500mhz below the x470 board. i would expect this to be fixed in later bios's as the ch6 and ch7 are pretty similar boards.

for now run 3000 or 2800c14 and push the cpu clock on your 2700x, so you should still get more performance than your 1700x

This sounds sensible

I hope so I don't wanna have to get a x470 if I can help it.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Quick update:

Everything is fine at 3000Mhz/CL14 so I'll do as suggested and wait for a new bios revision.

I was so dead set on 3200 as a minimum it became disheartening and you begin to question yourself etc.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Further update: getting lag spikes/frame drops? I hope a new bios arrives or I'm going back to intel :(

Still getting weird behaviour/slow downs in games - running CPU at stock / ram at 3000Mhz.

Anyone else having any issues with their 2700x setup?

Associate
OP
The Stilts safe 3333 settings are 14-14-14-30-52 the same as 3200c14, so it will be a bit faster yes. The same settings work up to 3400c14, that's on the CH6 running 6004 bios. If i can do it with 4x8Gb sticks, then it should be a piece of cake for anyone running 2x8Gb sticks. The most important thing is to leave SOC on Auto with the 2700x, setting SOC to the usual 1.1v results in errors when running Realbench, Prime95 or OCCT.
I'll give this a go later. Thanks

Associate
OP
Getting weird slow downs in league of legends and a toaster could run that, put everything back to stock will see if that cures.

Associate
OP
Yea I know. :(

Before I bought the 2700x I was playing with the idea of selling up and getting a 8700k for peace of mind. I opted for the least hassle which was just the CPU upgrade.

If I upgraded I'd buy the Prime Pro x470.

Did I just cheap out on the mobo?

Maybe I'll wait for the ASUS CH7 x470 to come in stock and just buy it.

Why is stock of x470 boards so low?

We are in the same boat, I'm pretty much set on changing to an 8700k setup this weekend, I can't waste any more time sadly.

I spent out on the CH6 but it hasn't helped.

Associate
OP
Ouch. You mean you have 8 Pack ram and a CH6 and still ram is not playing ball?

This is a sorry state of affairs.

This makes me think buying a CH7 will be a waste of money.

Sadly so, I haven't really made any progress either. At this point I think i'd rather spend a few hours swapping over than struggling any further.

I think the stutters may be windows related, but again I'm running out of time/patience to sort.

Associate
OP
With the stutters, have you tried turning off Global C-States? There was a guy on Reddit with similar issues and that cured it for him.

I'll give this a go.

I'm going to have one last run at it on friday, then if still issues swap it out.

Associate
OP
And using the built in Stillts profile don't work?

This is quite ridiculous really. It just seems that at the very least Ryzen first gen (mobo/cpu) are just not very compatible with ram.

Sorry I derailed your thread and turned it on to mine. :D

Reading back it seems you have been OK running at 3000MHz?

I might try that tonight. But like you, the whole point of buying the 8 Pack ram and new CPU was to run the ram at 3200MHz.

It could just be a bios thing.

No problem I mainly posted as there must be others having issues and in the same boat.

Associate
OP
Hmm

To @Webzta

Try what I have done above.

Reset BIOS to defaults.

Set DOCP.

Change DRAM voltage to 1.4v and set your procODT to 53.

Test with HCI.

If you get any errors increase ProcODT up an increment. Some people say they need to use 68Ohms but mine seems to be running HCI 200% so far using ProcODT 53.

---

Edit check if you have a bios update as a new one has been posted for my board.

---

I managed to get to 300% with no errors. I stopped the testing, flashing the bios and will try the 3333 safe timings this time with Proc ODT starting at 53.
I'll have a run at it all on Friday and report back. Running latest BIOS 6004.

Associate
OP
So I fixed the issue by replacing the setup with a 8700k.

Overclocking took 5 mins and it's been running stability tests for the last few hours without any issues.

Turning the computer on and it booting instantly into windows is nice too

I couldn't afford to spend any more time on the Ryzen setup, it was impressive at some things but definitely needs refinement...

Good luck guys and thanks for the help.

Associate
OP
Haha I know the feeling. I switched from 1600 to a 8600k last week. 4.8ghz at 1.236v and 3200c14 ram running at 3600c15 1T.

Every time I tighten ram timings or push frequencies higher I expect to not boot, boots fine every time. Then I run memtest hci over night and expect to wake up with errors, 0 every time.

Very happy with my decision to switch.

I'm seeing the same - difference in the platform consistency is night and day. I also settled at 4.8GHz - the extra voltage needed for more was not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom