2700X, dodgy temps??

Soldato
Hey guys,

after a lot of hassle the past couple of days setting up my new rig, its finally there...touch wood!

My issue now, is the 2700X. While doing moderate tasks (spotify, internet browsing) the temps are varying around 47-60 Celsius according to MSI AfterBurner.

My clock MHz are all around 4.2-4.3 GHz constant, is that because I changed the Windows 10 profile to maximum performance?

Should I revert to "balanced"?

Cheers.

Soldato
You could try but I don't understand why people on these forums are obsessed with having ultra low temperatures all the time.

What's your idle temp and idle cpu speed?
HWmonitor is useful for this as it displays min, current and max values..

Soldato
OP
You could try but I don't understand why people on these forums are obsessed with having ultra low temperatures all the time.

What's your idle temp and idle cpu speed?
HWmonitor is useful for this.

Hi, thanks for the response, my idle temps are about 43-45 Celsius, and the idle CPU speed is at 2200MHz.

Soldato
Hi, thanks for the response, my idle temps are about 43-45 Celsius, and the idle CPU speed is at 2200MHz.

These 2700x's run hotter than the first edition RyZen's, your temps look fine to me, also depends on which cooler you are using, im water cooling and idle my CPU is running 4.15ghz 24/7 overclocked, I don't bother with PBO, 1.4v idle temp is 28oC/38oC and the reason I put it like that is AMD once again programmed them with a 10oC offset, so they report 10oC hotter than they actually are to enable a CPU fan cooler attached to them to ramp up sooner as they get warmer, if you download the latest version of HWiNFO, it accounts for this 10oC offset so you have the temp reported by the CPU ie 38oC then you have CPU Tdie or something like that which reports the actual temp -10oC.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
These 2700x's run hotter than the first edition RyZen's, your temps look fine to me, also depends on which cooler you are using, im water cooling and idle my CPU is running 4.15ghz 24/7 overclocked, I don't bother with PBO, 1.4v idle temp is 28oC/38oC and the reason I put it like that is AMD once again programmed them with a 10oC offset, so they report 10oC hotter than they actually are to enable a CPU fan cooler attached to them to ramp up sooner as they get warmer, if you download the latest version of HWiNFO, it accounts for this 10oC offset so you have the temp reported by the CPU ie 38oC then you have tcl or something like that which reports the actual temp -10oC.

My main concern is games, if my temps are peaking at mid 60's will that not put it way higher for games? Im really nervous about trying a game, but suppose I cant do this forever :(

Soldato
Of course temps are higher in light use when you disabled power savings.
That power profile of Windows literally locks clocks to high level.

Soldato
HWInfo gives the right temps apparently. Mine is well aerated, good cooler, and still idles around 34-44. It seems to run up a single core here and then, generating heat, just to get things done snappier.

What's your in case temperature? What cooler are you using?

Soldato
OP
HWInfo gives the right temps apparently. Mine is well aerated, good cooler, and still idles around 34-44. It seems to run up a single core here and then, generating heat, just to get things done snappier.

What's your in case temperature? What cooler are you using?

I’m not sure on my case temp, but my vega64 with fans off idles around 31-32 celcius.. I’m on the wraith cooler that came with the 2700x..

You can change the CPU state in High Performance profile- get into advanced power plan settings and find CPU state. Two boxes, maximum and minimum. Just change minimum to 10% or something.

I will look into that, sounds very useful. Cheers.

Soldato
I put on an excellent air cooler and only saw a drop of about 6 degrees over the prism, it's bloody good, albeit much louder. If your vega idles that low case temps probably aren't too bad but equally once everything warms up if the air isn't shifting fast enough it may be cooking in its own warm air.

My idle (browsing) with prism was 45-50 but that was turned down to keep it basically silent. With a little noise it as 38-45or so.

Soldato
I put on an excellent air cooler and only saw a drop of about 6 degrees over the prism, it's bloody good, albeit much louder. If your vega idles that low case temps probably aren't too bad but equally once everything warms up if the air isn't shifting fast enough it may be cooking in its own warm air.

My idle (browsing) with prism was 45-50 but that was turned down to keep it basically silent. With a little noise it as 38-45or so.

Are your 45-50c and 38-45c temps adjusted to allow for the AMD programed 10c higher than real ofset?

Soldato
Yes, using the lowered hwinfo temps, but that was with prism, the aro as I said is about 6 degrees lower than that.
So now running 32-38c with less noise than Wraith Prism.
Is that spike/peak idle temp or average idle temp? I ask because sometimes the idle temp of some CPUs looks high unless looking at a graph and seeing line that is running 24-27c with spikes almost instantaneous spikes to 36-39c. I have no experience with Ryzen so it's all new to me.
Hey guys,

Would another cooler help much more than the Wraith? Specifically :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-33-esports-edition-red-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-06s-ar.html
Unseul is better judge of this but Arctic Freezer 33 Esport is not probably no better than stock Wraith.

Soldato
OP
So now running 32-38c with less noise than Wraith Prism.
Is that spike/peak idle temp or average idle temp? I ask because sometimes the idle temp of some CPUs looks high unless looking at a graph and seeing line that is running 24-27c with spikes almost instantaneous spikes to 36-39c. I have no experience with Ryzen so it's all new to me.

Unseul is better judge of this but Arctic Freezer 33 Esport is not probably no better than stock Wraith.

What cooler would you recommend that would make a good difference? My case is the Corsair Carbide 400C

Soldato
Doyll, the temps constantly fluctuate between those rough ranges. It's seemingly common with ryzen.

I recently installed the aro m14. Which is close to the d15, so pretty dann good. I've seen improvements with it but it's made me think the prism is a very capable cooler. Try hwinfo and go off the die temperatures. If you're 10c over with afterburner then you're not too far off where I was.

What board do you have?

Soldato
What cooler would you recommend that would make a good difference? My case is the Corsair Carbide 400C
Your case supports coolers up to 170mm tall. What cooler will fit also depends on what motherboard and RAM height.

If it will fit, your motherboard and RAM the PH-TC14PE for £49.99 is a very good cooler at a very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-cpu-cooler-black-hs-009-pt.html

Your case needs more and probably better case fans. I would advise at least 2x 140mm. Phanteks PH-F140MP are very good and OcUK has them on special for £16.26 for 2-pack. That is a good price for one fan so you get 2 good fans for price of one. I would use them as front intakes, remove all PCIe back slot covers and install a good cooler. Removing PCIe slot covers greatly increases exhaust vent area around GPU and with 2x good front intakes give case good front to back airflow.

Soldato
OP
Doyll, the temps constantly fluctuate between those rough ranges. It's seemingly common with ryzen.

I recently installed the aro m14. Which is close to the d15, so pretty dann good. I've seen improvements with it but it's made me think the prism is a very capable cooler. Try hwinfo and go off the die temperatures. If you're 10c over with afterburner then you're not too far off where I was.

What board do you have?

Im currently running a MSI X470 Gaming Pro ATX mobo.

Your case supports coolers up to 170mm tall. What cooler will fit also depends on what motherboard and RAM height.

If it will fit, your motherboard and RAM the PH-TC14PE for £49.99 is a very good cooler at a very good price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-cpu-cooler-black-hs-009-pt.html

Your case needs more and probably better case fans. I would advise at least 2x 140mm. Phanteks PH-F140MP are very good and OcUK has them on special for £16.26 for 2-pack. That is a good price for one fan so you get 2 good fans for price of one. I would use them as front intakes, remove all PCIe back slot covers and install a good cooler. Removing PCIe slot covers greatly increases exhaust vent area around GPU and with 2x good front intakes give case good front to back airflow.

I currently have 6 case fans running :eek: , and seem to have decent airflow, albeit a cheaper brand but was on offer..

Soldato
Im currently running a MSI X470 Gaming Pro ATX mobo.
I currently have 6 case fans running :eek: , and seem to have decent airflow, albeit a cheaper brand but was on offer..
I'm not on main computer so can't check MSI X470 CPU socket to PCIe socket spacing to say for sure, but quick looks like PH-TC14PE will fit. But without knowning RAM height or at last what RAM you have I have no idea if it is short enough to fit under front fan. RAM needs to be 35mm or less tall.

Back
Top Bottom